1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Heroes season ... eh, volume ... er ... 2008-09

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Ah, you guys are an hour ahead of me.

Meh, I vaguely watched season 2 after watching religiously season 1 and I have to say, what the hell happened to this show.

2. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I saw that and grinned. Made up for a so-so two hours.

This show, like Prison Break, must have started out with an awesome one-season story and then somewhere along the lines people were like "Fuck quality, let's get those hundred dollar bills, ya'll!"

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Final verdict:

Eh, I'll watch next week. It has more promise than I expected after last season.

- Hiro's story is just dumb. No other way to put it.
    - At some point, they'll stop going to the "Peter Petrelli is stuck with some shady people!!!" well.
    - We're already two hours into something like a 13-hour story arc. Not sure how I feel about that yet . . .
    - Suresh is the frackin' Fly. It's no homage; it's hoping this generation never saw that film.

Overall, it will please much of the audience. I especially loved Mommy explaining "The Butterfly Effect" for the dunces in the audience. Twice.

But I hope the fourth story arc next spring doesn't hinge on time travel/preventing a bad future.

schiezainc: I'm going to church right now to make peace with my gods, because you actually have a really good take on this.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Prison Break never should have lasted more than two seasons. I fear the same may turn out to be true of Heroes. I'm along for the ride for now, but this treads on so many X-Men plotlines, it's ridiculous ("In the future, there's camps and registrations and experiments for all mutants of the people like us!").

As for MohinderFly, I said the exact same thing to my roommate. Glad to see it was so obvious to everyone.

5. schiezainc

In my mind, Prison Break ended perfectly with Michael and Sara and the boat. Then they had to get greedy. Granted, I enjoyed Season Three once I got into it, but I refused to watch it on TV because it got wayyyyy too obvious that it was just about the money.

Heroes, meanwhile, seems to me like it could have been extended with a bunch of one-season story arcs. They tried and failed last year because they just introduced too many characters that people didn't give a shit about and now they're trying to recapture the magic by going back to what they had before but what they don't realize is that what they had before was "originality" and until further notice, this show has none of that.

And I agree with all who said Ali Larter needs to go. I can not watch this show without thinking that she is the most useless person on the whole series. She has multiple personalities. Whoop-de-freaking do. So does the guy on the public bus who smells like pee and I'm not spending an hour watching him.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Everybody commenting on the X-Men ripoffs, and no one mentions the Halloween "homage" in the scene with Claire and Sylar? It was practically a shot-for-shot remake.
    On the whole, ripoffs notwithstanding, I didn't mind it. The "let's prevent the bad future" thing has been done so much on this show it's becoming a central theme, so maybe they can go somewhere with it. I did like Peter doing what he thought was right, only to fuck things up completely. But the whole time I kept thinking, "Ummm...you're a time traveler. You've already changed the future once and messed with the space-time continuum. Just go back and stop yourself from killing him. Call a do-over. Duh."
    And given his path of destruction, shouldn't someone just kill Sylar already? Just say fuck it and melt him down or freeze him or whatever?
    And I have no earthly idea what's going on with Nikki/Jessica/Tracy. Maybe she's a multiple woman (heh-heh)? Obviously, something in her personality causes different powers to manifest. There's some fun stuff they can do with that.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Uh ... uh ... having a plot hole here ... writer's cramp .. need help ..

AH-HA! NIKI'S GOT ANOTHER PERSONALITY NOBODY KNOWS ABOUT! That explains everything!

8. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Ooooh Kristen Bell as Electro.

Where's the rest of the sinister six??!

9. schiezainc

More like:
    "Hey Tim, you finish the script yet?"
    "Yeah"
    "Can we get Ali back?"
    "Shit! I forgot!"
    "Well, bring her back. I'm this close to nailing her."
    "Okay .... I got it. We'll just put her in place of that new character Tracey. That'll solve it!"
    "But what about the fans? And the integrity of the show?"
    "Fuck 'em."

10. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I am heartened by the criticism. I feared I would be on an island here.

Bless you, SportsJournalists.com nerds.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Yeah, that definitely would've been a cooler (no pun intended) scene with the reporter -- and maybe a genuine surprise, depending how much they foreshadowed it -- with a new character and a different scandal.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Where are we in relation to the shark?

Draft saved Draft deleted