1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Heroes, Season 2: SPOILER ALERT

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Jun 26, 2007.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Oh, yeah. Shoulda remembered that.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

But how sure are we that Nathan is Claire's dad. Was there a paternity test or do we just have the mother's word on that?

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Not jumping the gun on tonight's episode, just noticing a few articles (tvguide.com, USA Today, etc.) talking about how some of the actors and the show's creator are saying things about how they know the show hasn't been what fans want this season, etc. etc. and they want to "get back to what made Heroes great last season."

The TV Guide spoilers dork wrote: "I'm hearing from multiple very reliable sources that when (and if) Heroes kicks off the second half of its season, it'll look very different from what was initially planned. Let's just say the complaints from fans and critics about the overabundance of new characters and weak overarching story have not fallen on deaf ears, and that changes are being made to return the show to its winning Season 1 formula."

Well, since they planned to divide this season into two parts from Day One, it has seemed like this first half has gone a bit slow. That being said, they should have followed the example of Lost's creators. People hated Nikki and Paolo, so they killed them off out of nowhere, all while saying, trust us, we have a plan, and when it's all out there, you'll be very happy and everything will make sense. That's what makes Lost great, that they have the guts to take chances and go against expectations.

The Heroes people shouldn't acknowledge complaints that the show has sucked (because it hasn't), and they certainly shouldn't react to those complaints. I had thought it was slow, but they have a plan and they earned my trust. But if they're going to react to people being unhappy because the show isn't the same as it was last year (and what do they want: MORE paintings? MORE apocalyptic plotlines? Yay!), then there is little reason to believe in any plan they put forth.

Because they obviously don't.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

One of the reasons I've been willing to put up with the slowness so far is because I have faith in the show's writers. They showed last season that they're building to something good, and there are payoffs here and there that will keep things rolling and make the wait worthwhile.

BTW, how is the writer's strike going to affect this show? Do they have enough episodes ready to finish the first half of the season, at least?

5. Piotr Rasputin

They can finish the first half, but the midseason miniseries with new Heroes is on the shelf for now.

And as you said, they earned our faith. But the reports I cited above show that they lack faith in themselves. And that's disappointing.

EDIT: Wow, tonight's episode is a slog so far. Would have made an interesting season premiere . . . .

6. outofplace

I enjoyed it. I think there is something to the theory that Mrs. Petrelli's ability involves manipulating others.

Can't say I'm a huge fan of what they did with D.L. How does he not see that coming and protect himself?

7. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

Maybe he did see it coming, and for the sake of Micah and Nikki, he let it happen. He knew she wasn't getting any better, and maybe this would force her to get help.

I know, I know. far fetched.

Still, I liked the episode. And now I'm officially pissed at the WGA. Dammit. My enjoyment of Heroes is worth far more than, you know, healthcare and more money and job security.

8. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

i've heard they're going to be able to wrap this storyline up in the last three episodes and they reshot it to do so. they said there will be a difference between what they planned and what's going to end up happening

9. outofplace

That really sucks. Damn strike. Pay these people already, dammit!

10. Piotr Rasputin

Great one tonight so far.

Suresh remains a moron.

Mr. Bennet remains a hardass.

Shouldn't they be immune to their own abilities?

EDIT: Best one of the season. Sort of saw the ending coming. They now have a nice little deus ex machina for when something bad happens. Suresh is a complete ass, a total moron.

Still . . . . I guess this plotline has two episodes left. I was personally hoping that since it was called "Generations" we would see more than just allusions to the past and vague references to the parents "selling our souls!!" I was looking for them to really take it all the way with casting of actors to play young Mr. Nakamura, young Mrs. Petrelli, etc, and tell their story properly, to really show their experiences through flashback. Instead, its been disjointed and a little slow, especially considering the fact this season was designed to have two major sections from the start instead of one major plot that runs the whole way like last year's "Genesis."

11. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

My guess is that they were going to do the "generations" plotline, and then the strike happened, and then they had to suddenly figure out how to end it all before the strike took.

and i agree, definitely the best of the season.

12. Piotr Rasputin

The plan from the beginning was to split the season in two plotlines, with Generations ending just before Christmas, then a miniseries, then the new plot.

The main thing the strike has done is force them to film an alternate ending for the final Generations show, designed to end the season instead of just wrap that plot. And the execution of Generations has been prety unambitious, regardless of the writers' strike.

Draft saved Draft deleted