1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Heroes 5/7: Spoilers!!!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Key, May 7, 2007.

1. Key

Key Well-Known Member

A little slow this week, but that could be expected after last week's jam-packed episode.
    I liked seeing a little bit of Sylar's home life, although it seemed out of character that he would all of a sudden have a weak heart for mass destruction. At least they tried to show us why he might feel that way, and maybe how Mommie Dearest warped his brain to begin with.
    Claire had the best line - "The universe can't be that lame." (or something like that)

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Hey, they can't all be fast-paced. And I thought the Sylar arc was interesting. A little peek inside his head (ouch, awful pun).

The stuff with Mohinder was cool, too...though I'm betting he's getting in over his head again.

3. ChrisLittmann

ChrisLittmann Member

Did we finally get an answer about Sylar re: what he does with the brains tonight, in a quick slip? Molly Walker said he eats them. Ewww. I always liked to think he was just taking them apart and looking at them the way we saw he did with watches early in the season.

I've always wondered if we'll get what we saw early on in Peter's dream -- will Nathan fly him off away from everyone in a last-minute moment of guilt? The future would suggest not. Also, what do we make of Hiro sans his sword?

Nothing was going to match the pace of last week's episode, but by Heroes standards, it still was good.

4. Key

Key Well-Known Member

Re: Eating Brains. I remember that scene and it didn't faze me at all - I think this show can be a bit gruesome for the 9 p.m. slot. But, I think my reaction was, "Oh, okay, that's how his power works."
    I also liked how they tied a line back into last week's future episode when Mommie Dearest said, "You could be president."

5. outofplace

This show surprises me with how bloody it is on occasion, too. Then again, it borrows so heavily from comic books and those are amazingly bloody these days.

6. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

I read in the graphic novel on the NBC website that Sylar ate a whole archive of Mitch Albom columns, absorbed their awesome power, and that explains why he sucks so much as a character.

Somebody needs to tell the Heroes writers that slasher/serial killer and supervillain are two different things. Freddy Krueger doesn't equal Lex Luthor.

7. mltru2tx

mltru2tx Member

I fucking missed the whole second half of the episode thanks to our continuous onslaught of severe weather and my dish getting knocked out.

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I guess to me, a baddie who eats brains to gain new powers (how did you guys not know this before?) gets pretty damn high marks for originality and sheer menace.

Both of which make him superior to the comic version of Mista Luthoah and the films' Fredy Krueger.

A solid episode last night. But the end is dumb. Loved how the trio found Claire and Peter in the middle of NY city.

"What's happening?!?!!?!?"

"He's absorbing your power!"

"Make him stop!!!"

Or, you can move away from him, dumbfuck.

Also: there was talk on the main Heroes thread as to Linderman being Magneto-type, whatever, etc. Nope. The story goes along just fine, everybody gets focused on one thing, then he shows up midway though, and gee, he's been pulling the strings the whole time.

He's like now-deceased X-villain Mr. Sinister.

9. outofplace

Interesting comparison. I agree to a point, though I think Linderman's philosophy is more in line with Magneto, while his approach more closely mirrors Sinister.

One thing, though. Mr. Sinister isn't dead in the comics right now. May have been at some point, but he made a very brief appearance a few months ago at the end of the Blood of Apocolypse storyline and was very much alive.

10. Piotr Rasputin

And THAT, outofplace, is why I stopped reading 16 years ago, using Chris Claremont's departure as my excuse.

Cyclops optic blasted Sinister into pieces at the end of Inferno, in X-Factor 39.

The ONLY non-death that was ever cleverly done was Jean Grey. Magneto died at the end of issue No. 3 of the new X-Men (at the very least, Xavier shut off his brain in fatal Attractions) . . . I hate this bringing back of dead people. Shit, just create new characters.

11. outofplace

Ha. At least you didn't return for Claremont's return...which was shit.

Honestly, recovering from Xavier's attack is probably the least offensive of Magneto's comebacks. Great storyline, though. That's when I truly got hooked on X-Men.

And didn't Claremont intend for Jean to stay dead?

12. Piotr Rasputin

Claremont never intended to kill Jean . . . . . (let's move this to the geek thread; a good excuse to revive it).

Draft saved Draft deleted