1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hero of The Underground

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The book by Jason Peter- anyone read? I just completed and found it to be one of the more riveting sports books that I've read in a long time.

In short the Peter chronicles his fall from the NFL into heavy drug use. It's a wild white knuckle read.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

I remember when people were saying he was the GOOD Peter brother.

3. Boom_70

yeah this makes Christian look like a boy scout. The only real flaw of the book is that Jason does not at all go into his brothers well documented problems.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Geez Boom, it was 300-odd pages without his brother. What do you want, a Dark Tower-sized tome?

5. Boom_70

289 pages to be exact. I do think it would have been appropriate to provide a paragraph or 2 about his brothers troubles at Nebraska

6. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

"White knuckle" ? Who let Gene Shalit on the board ?

7. Boom_70

Hey read it . By the time you are done you are going to feel that you need to do a stint in rehab.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I already have enough nasty memories of Jason Peter, but still ... thanks for the heads-up.

9. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

That was my one question, too. I assume Christian asked/begged/demanded through a lawyer that his brother not mention Christian's legal problems. It's pretty clear Jason put his family through hell.

It's a fascinating book about addiction and professional sports. Even the tidbits about his holdout and contract were interesting; those passages made me realize how often we're quick to criticize players when we don't know half the background. At least I was.
    I'd recommend the book for anyone who covers sports. I read it in one night and found some of the descriptive details riveting.

10. Boom_70

I had never heard that perspective on the contact hold out either but it makes sense. In this book Christian comes off as the good Peter.

Definitely a pick up and not put down till your done book. Could almost see it as a movie.

One thing I wondered about was how he handled his finances. As messed up as he was he must have been paying his credit card bills to be able to do what he did for 4 years.

Also wondered if he briefed his current wife on the full detail of his prior life. If not he sure has some 'splaining to do now if she reads the book

11. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Near the end of the book I think he addressed telling his wife everything, before the book came out, including details about the hookers. She advised him to include it all -- and he certainly does. Sometimes I thought, way too much information ... and wondered what his mom would think when she read it.
    The co-author must have had some experience with addiction to get such raw emotion and imagery. Or else he asked really good questions. Parts of it were very Hunter Thompson-ish. Wonder what Roger Goodell thinks of it, especially with regard to the pain killers and drugs?

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

You stole my line, pal!

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/posts/1861560/

Draft saved Draft deleted