1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Herm the fraud passes the buck again

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Jan 2, 2008.

1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

There is nothing better than Paul Hackett's concepts of offense -- "let's throw it for three on third-and-five" or better yet "we just ran it four times in a row for 65 yards, but now they'll be ready for it so let's pass, get sacked and then lose all the momentum we just gained...."

He is a disaster as a play caller

2. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

BYH: Read THIS, hope it helps. :D

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The times I watched the Chiefs this year they had look of the Jets of Edwards years.

Stunned that they would consider bringing in Hackett to run the offense. He is now at Tampa Bay as QB coach. He called some of the worst offensive games ever for the Jets. They had some games that they got off less than 40 plays from scrimmage. Most NFL teams average at least 60 .

This past weekend I had flashbacks to all the bad Jet seasons of the past - Herm Edwards, Pete Carrol and Al Groh. Only coach missing was Rich Kotite.

It was fun seeing Al Groh get a case of Jet face as VA was blwoing their game against Texas Tech.

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

And if Hackett left Tampa, it would create an opening for a quarterback's coach, which could mean a job for SportsJournalists.com board favorite Walt Harris, or as some of you spell it, Wlat Harris, a good friend of Jon Gruden.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Edwards is another retread NFL hack, slightly more egotistical and immature than most, but a generic loser. Nothing special, nothing interesting.

Why the obsession with him, outside of KC?

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Paging BitterYoungMatador....ex-Pitt coachjack in progress.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Here is Whitlock working the corners for Herm:

Herm deserves time to rebuild

Now that there is a consensus building that King Carl must be dethroned, let me lend my voice to the people defending Herm Edwards.

This city has not been fair to Herm.

We want to throw Herm out with the King who brought him to town. That’s not right.

And let me add this so that all of our chips are on the table: Dissatisfaction with Herm is not a racially divisive issue in this town. I spend more time at my barbershop defending Herm than I do ridiculing Carl Peterson. Thanksgiving weekend I had to loud talk my Aunt Mae to get her off Herm’s back.

Kansas Citians of every stripe seem to have a problem with Herm Edwards and his run-and-punt offense.

The man deserves four years. His resume demands that. The fact that he backed this franchise into the playoffs last season dictates that we remain patient. The problems he inherited thanks to the staleness of Peterson’s personnel department and coaching-staff leftovers make a compelling case to stick with Herm for at least two more years.

Herm has his shortcomings. Every coach does. He and Dick “Father Time” Curl struggle with clock management. Herm is not an offensive-minded coach.

What Herm can do is identify talent, develop it, motivate players and construct a strong defense. That’s enough to be a highly successful head football coach. With the help of the right general manager, Herm can find the proper mixture of offensive coaches, rebuild KC’s offensive line and develop a second receiver to play alongside Dwayne Bowe.

Finding a head coach is not an easy thing to do. You don’t give up on one who has four playoff appearances without ever being blessed with a franchise quarterback. Getting to the playoffs with Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Brett Favre, Donovan McNabb, Steve McNair and Kurt Warner in their primes isn’t sport’s most difficult task. If those guys don’t get hurt, you’re pretty much assured of making the postseason.

Herm hasn’t found his guy, so he looks really awkward at times. Bill Belichick and Tony Dungy appeared awkward and confused offensively when they worked with Bernie Kosar, Vinny Testaverde, Trent Dilfer, Shaun King and Brad Johnson in Cleveland and Tampa Bay, respectively.

Am I calling Edwards the next Belichick or Dungy? No. But a head coach has to be really good at something until the other side of the ball figures itself out. Belichick, Dungy and Edwards can coach the defensive side of the ball.

Most “great” head coaches get lucky. Take Denver’s Mike Shanahan. What has he done since John Elway retired? Shanahan has never been on the same level with Bill Parcells, Mike Holmgren or Dick Vermeil.

Parcells won Super Bowls with Phil Simms and Jeff Hostetler, lost a Super Bowl with Drew Bledsoe and identified and developed Tony Romo in Dallas. Holmgren spotted Brett Favre and then later turned Matt Hasselbeck into a Super Bowl quarterback in Seattle. Vermeil created Ron Jaworski and Kurt Warner.

Herm Edwards hasn’t proved to be one of the game’s all-time great coaches. But most coaches aren’t. They have their highs and lows. They go as far as their quarterback will take them. There are a lot of Norv Turners in the NFL, coordinators masquerading as head coaches.

Edwards is a head coach. He just needs to catch a break at quarterback.

I’m hopeful that a new offensive coordinator (retain Mike Solari as O-line coach), a legitimate quarterbacks coach (dump Father Time), three new offensive linemen and a free-agent quarterback to compete with Brodie Croyle will fix Kansas City’s offense.

That sounds like a lot. It’s not really. The Chiefs have several extra draft picks this offseason. If they keep losing, they’ll have a shot at Michigan left tackle Jake Long, who would be an instant upgrade. If Kansas City is in position to snag Long, then the rest of the Chiefs’ draft and free-agent priorities become much easier. Unless a strong QB prospect falls into their lap in the second round, the Chiefs just take the best receivers and corners on the board in the middle of the draft and try to find another O-line starter in free-agency.

We’ve wanted a true rebuilding year for a long time. We have one. Let’s give Herm a chance to rebuild. We have no real reason to doubt his eye for talent.

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Link, Boomer?

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Why do I think Whitlock would not have written that if Herm were white.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Because it's mostly true. Now if he writes that Marv Lewis deserves to stay in Cincy, it's because he's black. And if he points to Romeo's almost playoff team in Cleveland, it's because of race. But at least Whit and Herm are in KC.

Herm's resume demands that he be a special teams coach at a D-1 school, not a 4 year commitment as an NFL HC.

Whitlock allegedly wrote
    On that basis, Tom Coughlin's 3 straight playoff appearances with Eli Manning at QB deserves consideration as 1 of 2 required miracles before canonization.

11. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Identify talent? This is the same motherfucker who wasted a second round pick on Jon McGraw.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Time for a poll, what's better BYH Herm Edwards threads or Starman Larry Brown threads? Discuss.

Draft saved Draft deleted