1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Herm Edwards

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Jun 30, 2011.

1. ^^this. I really do like hearing him talk as an ESPN talking head, but I wouldn't trust him with my team.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

He's in a good spot right now. He should enjoy it, and take the money.

ESPN can be uncannily precise in their positioning of personnel. Tony K's in his best possible role on PTI . . .

as is Stewy, with Stump the Schwab . . . oh, wait . . .

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

Herm Edwards is a motivator. He's not that great of a head coach. What is the big issue? The thread was about his speech to rookies, not clock management.

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

the 'big deal' is the unfortunate way you kicked off this thread with the above statement. there are a zillion coaches other than rex ryan you should've picked to make the claim that if more coaches were like herm the nfl would be 'more enjoyable to cover and watch.' 'cause strictly from a sound-bite/motivational speaker aspect, yes, herm is superior to 99 percent of nfl coaches.

unfortunately, sexy rexy is NOT among those 99 percent. toss in that herm's x's and o's were inferior to any elit coaches i know, your premise became instantly rebukable.

herm as sizzle without the steak. sexy rexy is sizzle with steak; we just don't know for sure how prime choice his steak is.

but rex is certainly every bit as much fun and entertaining to cover as herm was.

5. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Herm is similiar to Dickie V. Nice guy who is passionate about his sport, gives a nice speech but should never be a HC.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Herm reminds me a bit of Pete Carrol. I think he would be a better college coach.

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Yes, Bill Curl.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Shockey, I consider Rex to be a joke. He's won over the NY Press which - as a whole - can be impressionable and gullable at times. He's a popular guy but don't start with the Rex is great stuff. He hasn't won anything yet.
    Having covered both, I prefer Herm's realism. You ask him a question, he man ups. Rex, will man up but there's so much bullshit to wade through to get there.
    Now x's and o's, we're talking about a different ball game but remember, the thread wasn't about that to begin with.
    But I will say this about the Rex show. If he doesn't win anything this year, he might soon be joining Herm in the booth.

10. Johnny Dangerously

I love this thread.

11. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

That's because you're impressionable and gullable.

12. Johnny Dangerously

Easily entertained. I love reruns of a sort.

Draft saved Draft deleted