1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Herm Edwards

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Jun 30, 2011.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

http://articles.latimes.com/2008/nov/24/sports/sp-crowe24

Nice guy who finished last - in college.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

It doesn't prove a damn thing.
    I said Johnson because he's a person who has made mistakes and is a person young guys respect.
    If a guy makes a mistake in his life, and who hasn't, and can relay that experience so that someone else may not make the same error, that's great. I'd listen to what he has to say because he's been there.

3. printdust

printdust New Member

Somebody mention me?

[​IMG]

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

Dude, HE'S NOT TALKING ABOUT FOOTBALL!!!!

5. printdust

printdust New Member

Jimmy also didn't want his parents or kids at the first Super Bowl he coached in because they'd be a distraction. Good coach, family man I don't think so.

But I always thought Johnson caught lightning in a bottle and made the most out of four good years of knowledge of college players in Dallas. In Miami, that didn't materialize much, plus he was hog-tied by the owner's love for Dan Marino.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

LOL. But if you put Jimmy, Rex, Herm and Cower in the four corners of a room, I'd put some money that more would listen to what Jimmy had to say.

7. printdust

printdust New Member

Cowher would be close.
    I'm not a big fan of Edwards because there's nothing as a coach to be a fan of other than his personal life. Rex? The whole Ryan clan can be flushed for all I care. Never liked any of them, thanks to Buddy. And I definitely see the nuts didn't fall too far from the tree.

8. 93Devil

There is only one current NFL coach who holds serious juice over his current and recent peers, and even that is semi-debatable.

Gibbs could have had it, but lost it when he came back.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Drip, so if Rex takes the stage and says "Hey guys, don't make the mistake I made, get all pervy with your wife's feet in private and without a video camera," he is then your good role model?

I really don't understand the hate for Rex. Players like him, he gets results and he makes the game fun.

10. 93Devil

After the Steelers just gutted the Jets in the first half of the AFC Championship game last year, and the Jets came back, says a lot about Ryan as a coach. A lot of teams would have folded. A lot.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

I don't hate anyone. Rex, in my opinion is more of a character than a coach. Yes, he knows the game and knows defense but he's no coaching genius.
    I'm a little too old for the role model stuff however, I have learned from his experience not to do stupid shit like that on video.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

Save the rah-rah stuff. The Jets got on a roll. It was the championship game. They didn't want to go out the way they were playing. It's all part of the game.

Draft saved Draft deleted