1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Herm Edwards

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Jun 30, 2011.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, I heard the message. He's a fine speaker. But that doesn't make "people like him" more enjoyable to cover and watch as a coach, as you said. If he's losing the big games, who cares about his oratorical prowess?

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

Rex is like his daddy and I covered his daddy. I like them both but got tired of their act real fast. I have never heard either Ryan talk to rookies or about being pro football players. Hell, I've never heard them say anything about the subject. There's a reason why Edwards was asked to address the rookies. I think he does a good job of telling them what to expect.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

People can say what they want about Rex, but his players LOVE him.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

Shock, buffoon may have been a little harsh, but I haven't been impressed with him as a head coach.
    Play, I personally get tired of watching guys get into trouble off the field. I deplore athletes who have trouble relaying their emotions without cursing or threatening.
    I'm hoping that his message gets through to a few of those guys.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

He has gone to back to back AFC championship games. What are you not impressed with?

6. secretariat

secretariat Active Member

Other end of the spectrum, personality-wise, but the same can be said of Lovie Smith.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Those rookie symposiums are all the same. Some will listen, some will forget it .02 seconds after they leave the room. Edwards was a fine choice but dozens of former NFL coaches could have delivered the "playing in the league is a privilege" speech and commanded respect. Come to think of it, I'd rather have had Cowher in all his chin-jutting and spitting glory. And with the ring on his finger.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

I'm not impressed with his coaching style. To me, he's more of a character than a coach.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Yeah, it's like that freshman orientation class when they tell you to look to the left and look to the right and within the next four years, two of you won't be in college any more. Cowher could have pulled it off but Jimmy Johnson would've been an excellent choice too.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Jimmy Johnson? Yeah, let's all take life lessons from a man who dumped his first wife when he got to Dallas because he didn't have to recruit anymore so she was useless. Positive role model there.

Proves the point we are all making, though -- being a good guy and a good football coach have nothing to do with each other. In fact they're pretty close to being mutually exclusive.

11. printdust

printdust New Member

I remember his dress-down of the media the week of 9/11 about the calling off of games. "You all ought to be in church. We all ought to be in church," he said, or something like this.

Translated to Xs and Os and millionaire egos, I'm not sure how that works. But as a person, his props stand up.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Yet he gets results, which Edwards did not.

Draft saved Draft deleted