1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Herm Edwards fired

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Jan 23, 2009.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

No way in hell Shanahan works for anyone. None. I don't care if he and Belichick had sleepovers. He's not working for Pioli or anyone else.

2. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

Good for Herm. Now he can pursue his true calling of being a drug counselor at some substance abuse clinic or act as someone's spiritual adviser.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

That rumbling I felt was not blasting from the coal mines, but Whitlock jumping up and down...

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Riddle me this: How can the Chiefs hire Shanahan -- without interviewing a minority candidate -- and avoid the penalty of the Rooney Rule?

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Imagine how many Jet and Chief fans that he drove to substance abuse.

I wonder what will become of Dick Curl. He is so good at Clock management that he will be sure to find a job.

6. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

They can't, which is why I can't help but think Mort is grasping at straws. Nobody else is reporting the "close to a deal" rumors, and Schefter flat-out said there's no chance Shanahan is going to K.C.

7. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I'm reading the same things, Barsuk. And I trust Schefter on this one, who says Shanahan will not coach in 2009.

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

sheesh, has mort whiffed a helluva lot for quite a while. the pressure the suits at espn put on him to break news must be ginormous. no excuse, though. he used to be way above that. more and more he's been as much miss as hit, seems to me.

glazer and schefter have really been kicking his butt.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

And you can ask him precisely why, at the upcoming Poynter conference . . .

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Agreed. No way Shanahan goes to another AFC West rival that quickly. Jonathan Rand of the KC Star said his guess would be Cardinals offensive coordinator Todd Haley, who worked with Pioli during their time with the Jets. Collinsworth said Haley would be his guess, too, earlier in the week.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Schefter and Shanahan are very tight. I think Schefter may have co-authored Shanahan's autobiography.

It's always nice to see Mort fall on his ass.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Since they fired a minority candidate, good question.

Draft saved Draft deleted