1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Here's your economic recovery...McDouble, please.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by printdust, Mar 10, 2011.

1. printdust

printdust New Member

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20110309/ts_yblog_thelookout/jobs-returning-but-good-ones-not-so-much

And record profits were made by shareholders? REALLY? My 401K doesn't show it.

I don't see an improvement ever again in wages. When we're in a global economy where global fatcats can share the profits, our status as the top average wage earners is going to drop as the rest of the world either catches up or catches us on the fall. How can this not happen?

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'm betting on catching us on the fall, that is, if I had money to gamble.

The wealthy better hope that another big economic crash doesn't hit. Then their cries of "Global economy!" and "Punishing the successful!" will fall on deaf ears when unemployment hits 30 percent.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Staggering stat: The wealthiest 400 Americans have as much money as the entire bottom half of the country.

http://www.alternet.org/economy/149918/9_pictures_that_expose_this_country%27s_obscene_division_of_wealth/?page=2

4. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

I blame teachers.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

This has a distinct Third World flavor to it. Spoken by someone who spent more than three years in such a country.

(Hint: Basically no middle class ... )

6. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Which is exactly what the Koch Brothers and their ilk want.

7. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Yep, it'll be just like Mexico City, where anyone with any money needs to have private security. Wonder how the rich will like it then, when they can't go anywhere without armed guards.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

For perspective's sake, an American middle-class family, even with the rather rough last few decades, is in the 85th-90th percentile for wealth in the world.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

According to Steve Forbes the US still has the most billionaires in the world, but the gap in narrowing. The Horror!

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Well, if I'm poor, that's much less thought I have to put into boycotting everything.

11. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Well, if an American middle-class family has any money, they should go ahead and hire armed guards now before it's too late.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I think you just solved the unemployment issues in this country with one brilliant stroke.

Draft saved Draft deleted