1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Here's yer sign

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Platyrhynchos, May 30, 2007.

1. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

I was nursing a cold Budweiser in a, uh, “watering hole” the other day. Said watering hole also sells nightcrawlers.
    Anyway, this guy comes in and gets a Mountain Dew and two dozen nightcrawlers. The guy who sold him the worms said, “Are you going fishing?”

Good thing I wasn't in mid-nurse.

Other such “duh” moments you've witnessed/been part of?

2. John

John Well-Known Member

Maybe the Dew was to wash down the nightcrawlers.

3. boots

boots New Member

He could have been feeding a pet.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

OK... Maybe this says more about me than you... But your story begins with you in a bar... You say a guy walks in and orders two dozen nightcrawlers. I have NO IDEA what a nighcrawler is, so my best guess is that it is a drink I have never heard of. Of course, that doesn't explain why someone is ordering two dozen of them. The only thing remotely analogous in my world was a bar I used to hang out in that was running an ecstacy ring I was clueless about until someone got arrested. And I have no idea what you said to order pills. So this is what I am left with: 1) I still don't know for sure what a nighcrawler is, but I have a pretty good guess from the responses. 2) Is it common for a bar to have such a side business?

5. John

John Well-Known Member

Nightcrawlers:

[​IMG]

6. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

Thank you, JOhn.

And, in my little corner of BFE, it is appropriate commonplace for watering holes to sell bait. I should have explained a little more on the nightcrawler thing. I forget that a lot of us are surrounded by concrete and steel.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

"Bruce's Booze & Bait".

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

In Texas, they're called ice houses, and not only do they serve beer, they serve food, so you pray to God they don't get the beef and the nightcrawlers mixed up.

Draft saved Draft deleted