1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

here's what's in store for ichiro...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shockey, Jul 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

The difference between "pedestrian" and "awesome" is 15-25 walks per season.

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

request granted. i'm done. especially since i've lost track of exactly what we're disagreeing about....

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

You were arguing over whether Bert Blyleven loves to fart. :D

4. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Let's not forget that Boggs eventually played for the Yankees, which was set up almost the opposite as Fenway. Boggs ended up hitting well over .300 for them, too.

And Boggs wasn't just a singles hitter. He routinely hit 40+ doubles a season and always had good OPS stats. Yes, he took advantage of the Green Monster for some of his hits/doubles, but the man would have been a .330 hitter anywhere.

5. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Boggs would slap doubles off the Monster all day if the pitchers pitched him outside. They never learned.

6. JonnyD

JonnyD Member

Let's not bring fetishes into this.

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

my apologies for posting after promising to leave this thread alone, but i had intended to look this up BEFORE bowing out. simply on the .400 obp or 'not worth a hill of beans' issue, these two hof right fielders weren't worth those beans, i suppose: al kaline's obp: .379 (ichiro: .373).

and this bum clemente? .359! slacker! walked 50 times in only three seasons, with a best of 56. .3-5-9!

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/c/clemero01.shtml

just sayin'. now i'm REALLY out. sorry for adding this upon remembering....

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Dude. Get your sarcasm detector checked. Fast.

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

i hear ya, but i still don't get where the sarcasm was in piotr's post. if it was intended and i grotesquely whiffed, my apologies to all. i'm red-faced, if that's the case... these numbers are somewhat interestingly, nonetheless, in that the author of the times story likely would've assailed clemente, too, back in the day... well, interesting to this dolt, anyway....

again, if i whiffed on the sarcastic intent, i'm sincerely embarrassed -- moreso considering i'm usually the most sarcastic dick in the room....

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Jeter in his prime vs. Ichiro in his prime.

I take Ichiro without even thinking about it.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

What if you needed a shortstop? :p

12. shockey

shockey Active Member

we know how you feel about jeter, but ANYONE with a respectable baseball acumen takes the shortstop -- 'without even thinking.'

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.