1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

here's what's in store for ichiro...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shockey, Jul 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

You can crunch numbers and come up with different ways of looking at Ichiro. Here's a fact. Can he play? Yes! Is he worthy of the Hall ? Yes! Anyone who has seen him play knows that.

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I know some of these guys have difficulty identifying greatness, but here it is especially a sad case.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I love the look on Mo Vaughn's face in this picture. "Is he really throwing a flying drop kick right now?"

5. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

Something can't be "very unique". It's a binary distinction.

6. JonnyD

JonnyD Member

I'll just leave this here since it got ignored the first time at the end of a long post.

7. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

In 1985, Boggs recorded 240 hits and still had 96 walks. The following four years, he recorded 200 hit, 100 walk seasons, leading the league twice in walks.

There's also some ridiculous stat around the fact he swung and missed very few balls that were in the strikezone.

Ichiro is a great hitter and a HOF'er. But nobody had the science of hitting down like Boggs, who in my mind was the greatest pure hitter in the last 40 years.

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Batting .300 doesn't amount to a hill of beans. Any player who doesn't draw enough walks to have an OBP of at least .400 every single season is a garbage player, period.

Look at these numbers.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/suzukic01.shtml

Freaking pedestrian.

All Ichiro Suzuki has ever done offensively is hit singles. Once he's on base, he just sits on first and waits for teammates to knock him around the bases. Doesn't contribute anything to the offense other than a bunch of weak singles.

If he drew, say, 15-25 more walks a year, imagine how awesome he would be.

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Boggs was a great hitter, no doubt. But he also played in a great hitter's park in the prime of his career, and it's reflected in his splits.

Home aver. .354, away .302
    Home OBP .443, away .387
    Home slug. 491, away 395
    Home OPS .934, away .781.

Ichiro has played his entire career at Safeco, a very pitcher-friendly ballpark.

Greatness comes in many forms, and Ichiro's game is just one of its manifestations.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Will you settle for extremely ordinary?

11. JonnyD

JonnyD Member

[​IMG]

12. shockey

shockey Active Member

the 'not worth a hill of beans' argument is beyond asinine. perhaps only exceeded by the 15-25 more walks per 'imagine how'd awesome he would be' remark.

what always hurt my estimation of boggs was that he hit for little power at a position where power is valued/required AND a 'singles hitter' with no speed just doesn't do much for me. but surely if pure ba and obp is your thing, boggs is pretty tough to beat.

in the overall of what i agree is a silly piece, though, is that the author isn't arguing that ichiro is not hof-worthy. just that he's not as tremendous as either he at first or the rest of us make him out to be.

most of us vehemently disagree with this terd's view of the baseball world. as someone earlier noted, i'd be willing to bet that many/most hof'ers could have their reps assailed by folks picking through the remains of their raw numbers. as much as it will make the sabremetrics crowd recoil in horror, passing the 'eye test' and witnessing for yourself a players' impact on games day-to-day are (at least as) useful tools as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.