1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

here's what's in store for ichiro...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shockey, Jul 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shockey

shockey Active Member

whose? again, not looking at career compiler numbers. looking at their five best and only hof-worthy seasons.come up with whatever conclusion after numbers-crunching you'd like; the point here is that, except for koufax, i can't think of anyone who is in the hall with only five worthy seasons.

2. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

Which numbers are "compiled" and which are "earned"?

Is there a book or site I can reference that separates them out for me?

That would be helpful in understanding your point.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

everyone with a vote determines what is their criteria for earning their yea. i know for a fact that the 'compilers' who are in got there by having good -- not great -- seasons for so long you looked up one day and said, 'holy crap! don sutton has 300 wins!? well, he got to 300. he's in.'

i don't agree but that's how it's gone. otherwise, the hof consists of the greatest players of their time who played at that level for a long enough time.'

i'm just going by what folks here have said and used as their measuring stick on hof matters. if anyone looks at oliva's career and can find more than five (and 5 is being kind) hof seasons, well, i wish i had you as a teacher.

now, if only five is enough for you, fine. just sayin' that criteria opens the floodgates for a spitload of non-hof'ers. as great a hitter as tony o was in his prime, he never considered close to 'the game's best player' (for another comparison). mattingly was considered just that from '85-'86. again, not an argument for mattingly, just continuing my nay on tony.

color me foolish, but the hof, to me, is for the best of their time. tony o is among those whose time of greatness was woefully short.

simple enough, mm? or do ya need pictures?

4. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

Oh, it's the best in their time?

OK.

Oliva finished second in MVP voting twice, was fourth once and sixth once.

Ichiro has never finished higher than seventh. Except the year that he won it.

So I guess Ichiro is out for you?

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Ichiro won the 2001 MVP

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Except when he won the award, of course.

7. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Ichiro does have an MVP though. And whether you like it or not, you can claim Ichiro's career numbers would be X-amount greater had he been allowed to start his MLB career before the age of 27.

8. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

Oh, I agree. Ichiro's a no-doubt HOFer.

9. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

And if you want to play the WAR game, Ichiro's 54.2, which counts his -0.8 so far this season is 206th all-time while Olivia's is 42.4 (375th).

10. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Anyone disappointed in another locked thread can thank the usual gang of losers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.