1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

here's what's in store for ichiro...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shockey, Jul 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shockey

shockey Active Member

for those who contend derek jeter's game has been dissected and/or minimized by his critics, you ain't seen nothin' yet -- just wait until ichiro nears the 3,000-hit mark. cripes, after reading this i can't help but think ichiro is the most overrated piece o' crap in baseball history. and he's not even a yankee!:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/10/sports/baseball/with-ichiro-suzuki-theres-less-than-meets-the-eye.html?ref=sports

have at it, seamheads....

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Very good, easy read. Made a lot of interesting points in a short space.

3. mb

mb Active Member

And you can bet your ass that if he played for the Yankees, he'd be God's gift to baseball.

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Jeter is the American Ichiro.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Good story, though some of the arguments have pretty big holes.

1. His OBP is good, it's just driven by hits instead of walks and a lot of statheads have a problem with that for some reason. I've seen sabers complain that a player's OBP is "hits-driven" like it's a bad thing. They're not obsessed with OBP, but walks. If Ichiro gets enough singles to make up for a lack of walks, what's the damn difference?

Ichiro is 27th on the active OBP list. Well, 26th since Manny Ramirez isn't really active anymore. Of the 25 ahead of him, ZERO are leadoff hitters.

2. Comparing Ichiro's stolen base totals to Raines and Rickey is silly and shouldn't have been included. Different eras. The Reyes comparison is interesting, though it's worth noting that Reyes is 27 and Ichiro didn't start here until he was 27. Age matters when speed is the topic.

Stolen base success rate is strange because players like Ichiro and Beltran get criticized when they're TOO successful, because they're not getting thrown out enough and should be trying more. Silly.

Ichiro is a good player, and a strange player. Statheads can't comprehend value that has no comps in baseball history so they cry overrated.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Saying he's a great right fielder but then saying if he had MORE skills, he'd be a shortstop or CF strikes me as cheap and unfair.

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I think he was trying to say great defense is relative.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

He's a first ballot Hall of Famer, and knocking Ichiro is a case study in how ideology breeds idiocy. I swear to God, there are members of the Church of Weird Acronyms and Decimal Points whose ideal player is like Walt Dropo or Rob Deer -- or, as was popular until this season, Adam Dunn.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I don't know the writer. Do you know if he's writing with an agenda?

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Without a doubt.

11. JonnyD

JonnyD Member

If everyone could just agree that Ichiro is a "good, strange" player, then statheads wouldn't be calling him overrated.

12. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

And the other extreme...

http://www.theclevelandfan.com/component/content/article/7/8126

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.