1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Here's what the G in Kenny G stands for ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Claws for Concern, Oct 5, 2007.

1. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

It's either Greatness, Golfer or Guru ...

http://www.pgatour.com/2007/h/10/03/kennyG/index.html

2. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

The G stands for hack.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I always thought it stood for Gangsta.

He's the gangsta of suck.

4. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I thought this was going to be about him coming out of the closet.

5. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

We don't want him.

6. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Actually, the article says Gorelick.

7. lono

lono Active Member

You said Gorelick. [/Beavis]

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Damn straight![/tipper]

9. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

isn't he engaged to whatshername from Grey's anatomy and private practice?

10. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

I'm going to take shit from the resident snarks over this; in fact I already have, but outside of perhaps bydesign and 2-under par, there's not a person on this board who wouldn't take Kenny G's golf swing and overall game.

And I speak from personal knowledge. I caddied 18 for him during his practice round this week -- the better to get him to do interviews around his insane schedule.

There's a reason Golf Digest picked him the best musician golfer: he's got a simple, repeatable swing that keeps the ball low (he hit 8 fairways today in 30 mph winds), his short game is ridiculous (he got up-and-down from just about everywhere during our round) and he hits a nice draw.

During our practice round, we weren't keeping official score, but he had three birdies (including hitting a ball to 8-inches on one par-3; I thought it was going in), two bogeys and a double. A reporter asked me what he'd of shot and I said no worse than a 74.

That short game let him down today and he hit three greens today, which neatly explains his 82. BTW, that was only one shot worst than Jason Day, who is probably the most talented golfer on the Nationwide Tour right now and someone you'll be hearing plenty about in the future.

Kenny G's won numerous club championships at Sherwood CC, not an easy course, and not to mention a course featuring a pretty good clientele of sticks. The guy may play music that appeals to about five people on this board, but he plays a golf game that appeals to anyone who aspires to something other than hackdom.

11. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

I'd take his golf game, and that's it.

Local NWTour event tried to get him, but it didn't work out. Apparently it's an expensive golf swing.

12. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Not really. He's not charging for the appearance; in fact, he played a concert at the pro-am pairings dinner for the third straight year and auctioned off three of his saxophones.

He's got a connection with the sponsors of the tournament; they met through John Daly a few years ago.

Draft saved Draft deleted