1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Here's my guess, for what it's worth

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by casty33, Oct 17, 2007.

1. casty33

casty33 Active Member

It's probably worth nothing, and it's likely to be wrong, but what the hell. I say the Yankees decide later today to re-sign Torre to a two-year contract and have him show Mattingly the ropes for two years before Mattingly takes over.

If I'm wrong, have at me. If I'm right, it was merely a guess.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I agree 100 percent. I think the "submarine Torre" movement within the Yankees' organization took a turn for the worse when people like Mariano Rivera came out against it and they realized it could hurt the club's ability to sign players.

3. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Here's a simple question: Who would be a better manager for that team than Torre? (Considering who's available)

I think he deserves a chance to see what he can do for at least another full year with the younger players.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Hasn't Mattingly been around Torre long enough to know the ropes?

5. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

My god, just fire the man already. Back in the day Billy Martin would've been fired three times in the same span as the Torre era.
    I'm tired of the fucking soap opera "Is Torre out? Will the Boss pull the plug?" every time the Yankees continue to lose. It's almost as bad as the yearly "Will Roger pitch again?" "where will the rocket pitch?" "Can he still win 18 games at 53 years old?"
    If they keep Torre, unless they specifically say he'll stay on to groom Mattingly, it'll be the same old story in New York for another year at least. Which is to say it'll be the same old bullshit, just a different day.

6. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I think I've been about as critical of Torre as anyone here for his game management and roster construction, but I don't see a better candidate for next year, not even someone as good. I grew up with a big Mattingly poster over my bed, but the notion that he would leave if Torre comes back rather than stay on as bench coach is laughable. What other team would even offer him that job? He is the presumed heir to the throne because of his (appropriately) sainted status in Yankee lore. Nothing on his resume gives us any clue as to whether or not he would be any good at this. If it were me, I'd offer him 2 years, 10 million.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Guy...why is Mattingly's "sainted status in Yankee lore" appropriate? Because he was the best player on a bad team for 10 years?

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I can understand the emotional argument for Mattingly, but I don't think there's a very good intellectual argument for him to become the Yankees' next manager. He's never managed at any level. It's a difficult job and not nearly the same as first base or hitting coach or even bench coach. Let him go to Scranton for a year. Or at least Kansas City or Pittsburgh. Willie Randolph would have benefited greatly from having managed somewhere before taking over the Mets but it's too late for him now.

9. John

John Well-Known Member

I love Mattingly, but only because of his "Still better than Steinbrenner" line on The Simpsons.

10. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

They were rarely a bad team during his prime, usually above average. He was also the best player in baseball for some of those years and a class guy. Gehrig is dead, who's he competing with?

11. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I predict they will fire him, and then rehire him in mid-June and make the annoucement as he's stting in the owners box during a game. Suzyn Waldman will immediately self-combust Spinal Tap style.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

If he's fired, Torre will not be with the Yankees again, especially in the middle of next season. Even if he were offered the spot back, I don't think Torre would take it.

Draft saved Draft deleted