1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Here's my dollar.........

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef, Aug 23, 2007.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

I thought this would be a running strip club thread. Sigh.

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I played a hand similar to this a few months back. I think I even might have posted it here. I flopped the nut flush. Guy to my right hits straight flush on the turn after he bets and I go all in.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

That's also a good way to leave cash on the table. I've found that my best hauls come when I stay for as long as I'm winning.

Mathematicians will say there's no such thing as going on a rush, but I don't believe that. There are times when you swing up and times when you swing down. The trick is to stay at the table for as long as you can before swinging down.

Usually, I'll keep playing, even if I think I've won enough, until I lose a couple hands I think should have won. Yes, I give back a little money, but I'm pretty sure I've maxed out my earning potential.

A good example is when I went to Atlantic City last year. I just had a great run of luck coupled with some great play at the table. The first night, I got up $300 and (having bought in for $200), figured I had probably earned all I was going to. Still I kept playing. Ended up with $1100 in front of me at one point (up $900). I stayed around, took a bad beat or two and lost $100.

Now, I gave some of that money back, but had I left right when I thought I had won enough, I would have cost myself $500. I left the city with a nice $1,400 profit in my pocket, which is significantly better than the $600 I had planned to lose.

As Mike Caro says, don't manufacture winning streaks by leaving just because you're up. Play until you stop winning.

Hitting a $600 pot is great, but if you stuck around, you probably could have won more for a couple reasons: First, you now have a big stack you can bully with and, second, some of those guys are now going to be gunning for you and playing poorly. They'll stick around when they should get out just for a chance to get their money back.

Also, out of courtesy, if I hit a big hand like that, I'll usually at least stick around for one more cycle, even if I'm ready to leave. Many times, I won't even play a hand (unless it's a big one), but I think it's good etiquette to at least give the appearance of giving people a chance to win their money back.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

You're definitely right, bigpern. I would have been the big stack and playing a table with half of the guys on tilt. But I'm one of those guys who was better at poker five years ago before the rest of the world started playing and half the male population age 18-25 made it their full-time hobby. The guy to my left was a young buck who had been playing very, very well until he ran up against my one lucky hand. I didn't want him getting more shots at me, even though I would be playing with more chips.

At a no-limit cash game I'm not going to grind out an 8-hour session and make a modest hourly rate. I've gotta get something big and run, even though I know it's bad etiquette.

5. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

An island weekend with Chef does not sound pleasant ... unless he's bringing the sandwiches from his poker nights.

6. Chef

Chef Active Member

Oh yeah.....and the only time Art Monk will get in the Hall Of Fame is if he buys a ticket.

Draft saved Draft deleted