1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Here's hoping we can discuss the Obama budget

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by printdust, Feb 15, 2011.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That is spectacular.

2. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

And like most of the rest of their agenda, it's illusory: The federal subsidy for the Corporation for Public Broadcasting provides a very small percentage of the budget for both NPR and PBS, so "defunding" either isn't going to make them go away ...

But it makes a nice, low-hanging target for the Sarah Palins of the world and the Dittoheads who are too lazy to turn off the radio and do a little homework.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Yawn. Wake me up when we begin discussing the defense budget. I think the Tea Party will gladly join with liberal and moderate Democrats to do the right thing, right?

4. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

The simple answer to FairTax being regressive is the prebate. It provides a stipend to cover necessities. And since poorer people can't spend as much as richer folks, this puts regressive in check.

Have you even read the FairTax stuff?

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I've read every word of it, and I don't believe it. It's whack-a-mole logic where they have a single answer to every critic, but the sum of their answers don't add up together.

Again, simple question: Where is the extra money coming from, if not from the poor, and why is the support for the idea almost universally coming from people who would like to see taxes on the rich lowered?

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

This. Until EVERYTHING is on the table, neither party is serious about the budget deficit. This "we're at war, so defense is off-limits" is so much bullshit.

If we all go down the tubes economically, no war is really "protecting" us from anything worse than what we face from our own problems.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

It's still wildly regressive, even if you shield the first $50,000 or wherever their bullshit "prebate" cutoff line is drawn.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well of course Bush and his spiritual godfather Reagan were the only presidents to submit balanced budgets in the last 50 years.

I hear it on teevee all the time.

9. Crash

Crash Active Member

I find it wildly hilarious that the Secretary of Defense is calling for cuts in his own budget and even that's not enough to convince Congressional Republicans.

10. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Nothing in FairTax is income based.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I am not one to compare the federal budget to managing one's own checkbook, because there isn't a whole lot of macroeconomics and social policy involved in my personal decision to carry interest-bearing debt ... but every time the budget comes up for debate it always tickles me that supposedly intelligent politicians can express the belief that we can rein in spending without touching any of our biggest expenditures.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Which is precisely the point.

Draft saved Draft deleted