1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Here's a twist on the Georgia budget situation

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Apr 11, 2010.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Unused vacation time accrued by state employees ... wowzer. How does one save up 70 weeks of vacation?

http://www.ajc.com/news/government-waste/vacation-policy-takes-toll-449447.html

2. KP

KP Active Member

By going to work instead of taking time off.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

And being told that you are needed to work when you are due vacation time, especially cops and correction officers.

It was always funny at my former paper seeing people taking their vacations at the end of the year or losing them. A couple of times, people were allowed to bank a vacation day for the first week of the next year because they were needed at the end of the previous year.

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Even if you buy the notion that as your tenure grows, so does your alotted vacation time, these people are saying they've basically never taken vacation time. I find that hard to believe.

5. KP

KP Active Member

Two of the people highlighted have been around since the 70s so having banked a few unused vacation days/weeks over 33 or 38 years shouldn't be all that surprising.

The three 2003 cases, I'd like to know how many weeks these people started with and if they have used even one.

6. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

or you could be part of a two-person sports department where the paper requires at least two days off already in a work week before a vacation day can be used and a day where you work any amount of time, even something that pulls you in for a half hour, counts as a day worked.

Draft saved Draft deleted