1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

here's a surprise: Beckham already setting things up to miss half of NEXT season

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Sep 6, 2007.

1. sports scrub

sports scrub Member

you didn't miss much anyway, very boring game

2. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Scott Carson.
    Please.
    Have the guts, McClaren. Carson is standing on his head, and Robinson is giving up howler after howler. David James gets the second half of the Germany game, and everybody thinks he's back on form and should have the England job, and, wouldn't you know it, he's Calamity James again in the EPL.
    Scott Carson.
    Pretty please?

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'd be able to support that move. Hell, I'd enthusiastically support that move.

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

The contract was announced in April of last year, six months before the Beckham Rule was voted in, and long before a bad England performance in the World Cup and subsequent mediocrity by Becks and a new attitude for real Madrid in the Spanish League made becks available. MLS thought best case scenario, he would come in three years or so.

In other words, ESPN was on board long before Beckham was a true possibility, much less a reality. Good for the "soccer is making inroads" argument, for sure.

As for the thread . . . .

Beckham is to Starman as Michigan is to Hammer Pants.

As truth is to boots.

As logic is to RokSki.

As intelligent thought on soccer is to Armchair_QB/Boom_70/trounced/etc.

Etc.

Total irrationality.

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

About time you got that damned post back up!

6. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Robinson will get his form back-at least that's what I'd like to think.

7. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Let him do it on your time, Mr. Spurs.

8. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I'm entitled to a fanboy delusion every once in a while. :D

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Re: here's a surprise: Beckham already setting things up to miss half of NEXT se

Well, there's certainly no reason to believe the story might be true, in light of the fanatic determination Beckham has shown to get on the field and actually play games for the Galaxy so far, eh???

As far as this argument is concerned, the story says the plan is for Beckham to play in England "for four months leading up to the start of the European Championships in early June." Count backward, that means May, April, March, February. The MLS season starts in early April.

The European Championships start on June 8, and last, I would assume, most of the month. Assuming England loses out in a fairly early round, he still would not be available to the Galaxy until mid-to-late July at the earliest (he'll undoubtedly need two or four or six weeks off to recover from the grueling tournament grind), at which time their schedule will be, yes, half over, and by which time, most likely, they will be sunken far out of playoff contention, so when the mighty Becks does deign to actually set foot on the pitch for the Galaxy and happens to sprain a pinky toe or something, the motivation for him to drag himself back out there and play in meaningless games ain't likely to be too high, I would suspect.

10. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

The story is false because of a multitude of logical reasoning. As to Beckham's determination to play... well, the guy has made international flights and then played at minimum half of a game. With the type of injury he has, I think he's shown about what would be expected. The guy is injured, what would you like him to do?

11. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Star, you need to head back to something you have a clue about. The Premier League season doesn't end until May 11. England will not convene any squads until after that for warm-up friendlies ahead of the June 8 start, and it may be later depending on what English clubs are doing in European competition.

He's not going back. The Galaxy will only release him for England Internationals. Give it up.

12. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Damn ... I guess that makes me an illegal alien too.

Draft saved Draft deleted