1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

here's a surprise: Beckham already setting things up to miss half of NEXT season

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Sep 6, 2007.

1. MN Matt

MN Matt Member

None of this matters because England will fail to qualify for the Championships. Starting this weekend when they lose to Israel and Russia.

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Ok, you can stop that talk right now. We're winning both games.

Yeah. WE'RE.

3. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I think England will be alright. Gerrard should be playing.

4. sports scrub

sports scrub Member

as pastor said, the ESPN deal was signed before the beckham deal, also, MLS is on ESPN2 as is the WNBA and other sports not seen as mainstream, ESPN is smart to keep these leagues on the network considering that is how it got its start back in the day, versus would be smart to follow the blueprint and get as much sports coverage on its network as it can instead of survivor reruns and bass fishing ...

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I thought England didnt want him on the national team any more

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

We've had this discussion before. They didn't after the World Cup, then things went in the tank for qualification for the European Championships next summer, at which point he was re-called to the team.

He's definitely wanted now, and would be starting if not for his injuries.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Sorry. I missed school that day.

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Can I see your sicknote?

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

But any time Robinson is in goal, you've got to be just a tad worried.

10. sports scrub

sports scrub Member

Beckham has had an impact, I don't think anyone can argue that, but I don't see it being long term. For the L.A. at N.Y. game at Giants Stadium the press box was full, the stands were full and the game was one of the most exciting regular season MLS games ever. But what happened for the next New York home game? The normal 8-12 reporters in the press box and 13,000 fans in attendence and that was against Chicago who has a DP player of its own in Blanco. I think AEG should change their team name to the L.A. Beckhams.

11. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I'm hopeful that when the Red Bulls get into their new facility they will draw strongly. While still in New Jersey, it looks like a great stadium, and the atmosphere should be fantastic.

12. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

13K is higher than the mean attendance that RBNY had been receiving that year. If you remove the Beckham game and go by the numbers, RBNY received 2K more people than their average attendance all season on a Saturday night at the start of Labor Day weekend.

Yes, 13K isn't a ton of people but it is more than they had been receiving. Hell, I have season tickets and I didn't go (3-day weekends are great for mini-vacations).

Draft saved Draft deleted