1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

here's a surprise: Beckham already setting things up to miss half of NEXT season

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm almost never one to defend soccer, but the MLS has gotten about 1,000 times as much coverage this season as they did in the previous 11-12 seasons combined...

There is one and only one reason for that...

Also, keep in mind that the bulk of that contract is paid by adidas, not the MLS and I guarantee you no one at adidas will ever complain that they're not getting enough exposure from Beckham.

Before this year, how often would you even hear a single mention of MLS on SportsCenter? Now, it's all over the place and we have people on E! and Entertainment Tonight and all those shows talking about Beckham and MLS...

I'm not saying his stint here has been the success that people thought it would be, but his primary job was to raise the awareness of the league and there's no question he's done that...

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

And miss out on a chance to bash soccer!?! NEVER!

(For a group of people who profess to dislike a sport, they sure do like posting about it.)

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

The next time I believe anything published by the Daily Express' sports section will be the first.

This is nothing more than a tabloid throwing crap against a wall and seeing what sticks. Beckham's already committed to the Galaxy's off-season friendlies, one of which is in Australia. No chance this happens.

Funnily enough, if you go to the Express website there's now no mention of the Beckham-loan story on its sports page.

What I don't get is the obsession people who say they hate soccer have with this. You'll pick up on any story to try and slam the sport, and Beckham in particular, even if it's as patently false as this one. There's room for everyone guys, the Tigers game is on in a hour and a half. Why don't you settle in and watch it?

4. jboy

jboy Guest

Hey let's give AQB a break. He's had to sit through all the positive press about Beckham and the record crowd at Giants stadium and all the soccer stories in the paper, silently seething all the while.

Now that Beckham injured his knee -- which is completely and totally his own fault ::) -- he can go to town on the the "I hate soccer" spiel. And as a bonus, he can tie in the illegal immigration angle.

BTW, you never answered the question: What did MLS or soccer ever do to you? Were you kicked in the nuts by a soccer player during high school? Did MLS pre-empt your favorite fishing show on espn2? Is soccer simply another way for those pesky brown people to infiltrate American society, part of a long war to take over the USA?

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I'm sure it's much more fun to read the garbage and laugh at your for writing it.

6. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

GB, I noticed the same thing when I went searching for the story after PTI and ATH went bat-crazy on this story yesterday. I had to dig through the archives to find it, and when I read it I laughed out loud.
    My favorite London newspaper website, the Telegraph, does a thing each day called Paper View, where they cull the best stories from other papers in town. They didn't even bother with this Beckham story. That's how far off the map it is.

7. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Odd. So you are saying that if I don’t like your topic I don’t need to read it? Is that where you are going? I find that very ironic coming from you on this topic.

Maybe the 66,000+ fans that showed up to Giants Stadium to watch an MLS game was just full of illegals as well right, Racist_QB?

Not to take away from the Beckham factor, but… Somewhat like Arena Football, ESPN is finally paying money to broadcast MLS games. They have a stake in MLS’ success.

8. Mizzougrad96

Well, what, or who do you think made ESPN finally decide to pay money to broadcast MLS games?

9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

The flaw in the story is not that he wants to play in Euro 2008 (which he really, really does, and which another reason to like Becks).

It is the timing of any loan. I could see him playing for a couple of months in England before and maybe during L.A.'s training camp, but there is no way that they would lend him out for any part of the season. So, basically, he would be on loan from January until late March. Which means that just as a major club (and Becks isn't playing for the likes of Fulham or Derby) is hitting the busiest and most crucial part of its season, he will disappear. No way.

10. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

According to AQB, it was illegal aliens. It's all part of a plot to Latin-ize the US, softening us up for the coming invasion.

11. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

The television rights deal was done well before the Beckham deal. It was done before winter transfer market enabling Beckham to sign with other teams. Had it been signed after Beckham, MLS would have received much more money than they did.

12. Mizzougrad96

Let's simplify this... Beckham is the ONLY reason the MLS is regularly on ESPN now...

Draft saved Draft deleted