1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

here's a surprise: Beckham already setting things up to miss half of NEXT season

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Boy, the L.A. Galaxy is sure getting a hell of a payback on its investment.
  2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

What the hell's the big deal? Teams almost always let their players go play for their country in qualifiers.
  3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

From the linked article, it looks like Beckham would like to return to a Premier League team on loan from MLS. As in, he would play for a team there from January to May/June, all the better to stay firmly on the national team's radar, in the public's thoughts, and readily available as fans clamor for him to get those final three appearances. And of course, avoid trans-Atlantic flights every time he gets called up.

He is asking for yet another major favor from the Galaxy, while also slapping the league in the face. They should respond by demanding promotional work in the offseason.

the LA Galaxy and MLS have accommodated him enough. It's time for him to either choose to commit to MLS, or leave permanently.
  4. Editude

Editude Active Member

Simers ripped him (and the gullible Galaxy) a new one Wednesday.
  5. I liked your original post more, piotr
  6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Well fuck him then (and for the record, that link crashed my POS computer), but your first post was better.
  7. healingman

healingman Guest

Bend it, screw it. Go home.
  8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

David Beckham is a business genius.

He just fleeced us backward Yanks out of a quarter billion dollars.

He will gimp through the next 3 years of MLS while bending it at will for Chelsea or the English nationals in the MLS offseason. Thereby making millions more in Euro endorsements.

Business genius, I tell you.
  9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

If he plays for a couple of months when MLS is off season, what's the big deal? He're the thing, I have a hard time believing that he's going to plays for most EPL teams -- he's a Red Devil and won't play for the Gunners or Chelski.
  10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

This sets up nicely for David Beckham to be the next Juan Gonzalez
  11. SixToe

SixToe Active Member

Re: here's a surprise: Beckham already setting things up to miss half of NEXT se

Soccer, eh.

Let him play in Pakistan if he wants. For all the ESPN hype and wasted space in U.S. papers about him, he's done shit over here other than take the money.
  12. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Really? You mean 66,000 people didn't go to Giants Stadium? He's done "nothing?"

Look, you don't like soccer, fine. But to say that the guy has done nothing is just flat out false.

I don't see how this sets up for him to miss half of next season. He wants to be loaned out in the offseason. Is this any different than the MLBers who play in those winterball leagues? If the guy gets reinjured then there will be a problem. But right now, I'm just not going to get too excited over it.

Besides, players play for their country. It is required by FIFA to allow players time off for official games.
Draft saved Draft deleted