1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Here's a rule the NCAA could pass

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Feb 8, 2008.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

... to put the shit-hammer on these Signing Day productions where Bubba Bigshot (and, usually, his yapping posse of shiftless hangers-on) stage the ball-cap or jersey displays where Bubba Bigshot picks up the hats of the schools he doesn't choose, and then throws them aside, and then finally dons the cap of the Lucky School. Last year there was one televised news conference where one guy's posse was picking up jerseys of the other schools and throwing them in the trash can in front of the TV cameras.

"When announcing his/her choice of NCAA member institution, no student-athlete (or persons acting at his behest) may display any clothing, jerseys, hats or any other materials emblematic of any school other than the one he actually elects to attend. Any such display as documented by the public media shall result in a loss of eligibility for the student-athlete of not less than 50% of one season of competition."

2. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Shouldn't that be athlete-student?

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Either or, this is one rule I definitely agree with. Civility strikes a blow!

4. There was actually what I thought was a neat declaration on Wednesday. I believe it was Jermaine Thomas signed with Florida State and donned a Seminole headdress instead of a hat.

But I don't know how to post pictures, so I can't post one.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Send me the link and I'll post it for you.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

To post pix:

Copy the following text and put the URL of the image inside the IMG's:

[img ]http://xxxxxxx.com/xxxx.jpg[/img ]

(Remove the space before each close bracket. I put the space in so you can see it in text.)

7. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

A few Bama commitments have donned houndstooth hats over the years.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Was fine the first dozen times they did it... now, fuck 'em

9. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

My younger brother signed his D-III (!?!) letter of intent with his high school coach and future college coach behind him...and he was wearing his soon-to-be college jersey. The photo made it to our local weekly and nothing else.

My little bro. D-III. Jersey and all with a signing ceremony. That's when I knew the whole thing was f'n ridiculous, big to small.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

My policy is no signing materials are to be present in a D-III "signing" photo and no mention of a "signing" in the story or cutline.

D-III schools do not give athletic scholarships. If a newspaper gets it wrong and says "Joe Blow signed with LeTourneau" or Sul Ross or whatever, the school has to answer for it if the NCAA gets wind of it.

11. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

This type of showmanship made into network TV earlier this year when broadcasts of those all-star senior football games had sideline reporters pulling guys aside to pick the appropriate hat of three on a table. One of the players had his little sister or cousin pick the hat. It was ridiculous.

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Jesus Shuttlesworth didn't even do this.

Draft saved Draft deleted