1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Here's a quickie

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FireJimTressel.com, Jul 14, 2006.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Maybe it'd be wrong at a pro event, but most of the local tournaments we cover just have weekend golfers running around the course playing for pro shop dollars. The guy whose ball I found had the better part of a six-pack in him and his team finished halfway through the last flight. I figure he needed all the help he could get :)

2. ogre

ogre Member

I wouldn't take part in the hunt for the ball. Not out of ethics, just because. I wouldn't ask the golfers to help me write the story either, so that's fair.

Now to threadjack, sort of. What if it's not finding the ball, but instead saying whether you saw a rule violation or not? Example. A golfer is taking a shot under a tree and his opponent claims that the first golfer hits a branch with his backswing. The guy who too the shot says no. Do you say you saw it or not?

I wouldn't take part in the inquiry. I would write what I saw though.

3. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

I had a rules official come up to me at a tournament I was covering yesterday and ask me if I saw where a ball went because I was standing up by the green. I pointed out where I thought it went. No big deal.

4. not funny. no class

5. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

of course you help them find it. If you don't, they spend five minutes looking for it, decalre it lost, then it takes them five minutes to walk back to the tee, hit another ball, takes them five minutes to walk back to the ball that is in play, another couple of minutes to hit their approach shot in 110-degree heat.
    By now, you've lost the 15 minutes that it will take you to write the 8-inch gamer on the sixth flight at the screen door open. that's about three beers of lost time in my book.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

"What are you, the boyfriend? Here for a quickie?" [/Larry Miller's doorman character in Seinfeld]

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted