1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Here's A New Parent Email

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pete Incaviglia, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Well, I had to reply with something.

I just explained plainly and politely that it's a conflict of interest.

Then I went on to say it's not unlike me having to decide on new jobs and moves across the country (new town, new coworkers, leaving friends and maybe family). I told them to take their time, weigh pro and cons and to expect it to be long and tedious and stressful.

I steered clear of any and all football or football program type talk.

And of course I thanked them for asking my opinion.

2. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

Well played sir. Well played.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I don't think it's overstepping any bounds to drop the name of a well-respected coach who might be able to help these folks.

And I would take it as a compliment that they would ask me, even if they're wrong in doing so. Unless I'm really jaded.

4. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

The advice you should have given is this:
    "If you want your son to be ready for life after football, have him go to the school where he'll get the best education and be happy, if you want him to go to the NFL, here's a Web site that lists which schools send the most kids into the NFL"

5. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

Suggest a university that doesn't have a football program.

6. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Well, um...You said it. ;)

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Because you know more about what they want for their son and what their son wants than they do.

(I don't care if it was tongue-in-cheek; that smacked of "I'm smarter than you.")

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think asking a high school coach who has had his share of recruits would be OK -- unless it's taken as a slam at his current coach.

I was being flip before, but this a tough one because by nature, everyone in the process either has his hand out or is looking out for someone else's interest.

What I would probably tell them mom is decide what junior wants to do in life and look for schools that are a good match. Don't judge by the coach or the football program first.

9. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

Shotty, I am smarter than you.

But I was only making a funny. There's no intent here. Just boredom.

10. mojo

mojo Member

Had a parent of local small school's big star ask me in a roundabout way to write stories to boost her kid's recruiting profile and talk to writers at bigger papers in the region about him. I just said, gently and politely, wouldn't do the first and couldn't do the second.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Wow. That's a first -- that they asked in a roundabout way, I mean.

12. mojo

mojo Member

Yeah. The parent seemed to be a little embarrassed by what she was asking for, but also a little desperate, as the hopes had been a little higher than the reality was working out to be.

Draft saved Draft deleted