1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Here's A New Parent Email

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pete Incaviglia, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

The best young high school football prospect's parents emailed looking for advice as to where their son should attend school. He's going to get a scholarship. Three schools are aggressively recruiting. All three schools are different in terms of their respective football teams (one's young, one's a contender, the other is average with a great past). Oh, and one of those is the local school I cover.

I'm not going to offer up any advice. I don't think it's my place to help a kid I could I potentially end up covering for four years.

Anyone else ever got an email like this?

2. I haven't had it e-mail, but I have had parents ask me for advice. I just tell them I'm the wrong person to ask because I was not recruited and am no expert on that process.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You definitely do not want to get in the position of suggesting a certain school or coach.

You might point them to others who might be helpful -- a hs coach who has seen his share of recruits, a recruiting guru who might give them some insight; an agent who might loan his Hummer, etc.

4. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

Here's how it goes. Get job at rivals.com or scout. Get cozy with recruiting coordinator. Under the guise of journalism, begin recruiting where, when and how the coaches can't. Line your pockets with tax-free, under the table money.

5. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Oh, god no. Stay away from this one.
    But tell them -- where ever they attend -- to study journalism.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Hey, now. No need to be cruel.

7. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

If you really want to curb this sort of thing.
    Show the parents a paystub. It will be the last time they ask any journalist for advice.

8. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I wouldn't even do this (although I know it's tongue-in-cheek), because any kind of "recommendation," even of a coach or paid recruiting gun, can get you in hot water.

9. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Don't get it from parents; have certainly been asked by family and friends. I usually tell them what I know about a particular school and then tell them to keep doing their own research.

10. joe king

joe king Active Member

Whatever you do, do not refer anyone to one of those self-proclaimed ``recruiting gurus'' for advice. Of any sort.

11. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I know a writer who was asked by the parents of a major-conference college football transfer within the past three years which school their son should choose and why.

You just want to say, "You've been through the recruiting process. You screwed up the first time. It's obvious. But my God, don't make it so apparent that you have no idea what you're doing than to ask me."

12. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I'm guessing Ace was making a joke, guys. Don't be dense ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted