1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Here's a new Internet-based question ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Jan 7, 2007.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Well, speaking only of my place, our writers wouldn't have the first knowledge about getting into the database to do anything like that. It would have to be an editor. The writers don't even have that access, not for protection but because they just never have.

2. jay_christley

jay_christley Member

SF - I think there's a lot of merit to this debate.
    Such as, how long after the story is too long? For instance, I constantly rely on a past material database to check stuff. For instance, what did some guy say last time he won this race, or what were the exact sequence of events (if I'm a little fuzzy on the history). Because I work at a paper, it doesn't matter if I change a typo or such from a story I have archived on my laptop -- I'd submit a tearsheet if I entered a contest and not what I have on file.
    But I would certainly make the correction, if for no other reason than for my own sanity.
    So what happens if you write something in February, notice a typo and fix it while doing a little research in May and then want to enter a contest in November? Which edition do you submit?

I think the answer may be edit time stamps that need to be submitted along with the copy. Such as an "originally posted" date, and then a log of any subsequent dates (times) the story is altered.

3. Jam3131

Jam3131 Member

Very logical solution - I would agree with this

4. taz

taz Member

Interesting debate.

A lot of this depends on the type of story we're talking about. If it's a breaking news situation (or live event coverage), you're encouraged to have multiple versions, with updates throughout the day. A cover letter explaining the nature of the story and frequency of updates.

A lot of what we're talking about here is in the context of a feature/column, which IMO, should be limited to the original date of publication. Judges might be forgiving when it comes to a typo, but how far do you take that?

"I'll just tweak this graf a bit."
    "I'll catch up with that one source that didn't return my call."
    "I really wasn't crazy about that lede, anyway."

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Wouldn't there be a time-stamp on the piece, though, once you made the changes? If you entered a column on the Steelers' Super Bowl victory, and it was stamped "updated Jan. 8, 2007," that might arouse some suspicion. I know that after one of my pieces is posted, if I notice a typo or need to correct something, I send in my change, and the piece is stamped "updated," with the date and time of reposting to follow.

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

No matter how many times we update a story, unless we manually change the time and date, the original one remains. Again, no way to track it.

I think our solution will be, if it comes up, to submit whatever it is we find when we go back looking for contest possibilities, with no updates other than what would have been routinely done were a contest not involved.

Draft saved Draft deleted