1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Here's a new group to rival hockey and soccer parents: Summer Camp Parents!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Jul 26, 2008.

1. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

That's weird. Young slut camp always came before junior scrabble when I was younger. My how times have changed.

2. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Seriously, if you, as a parent, need to make use of "visiting day" why the fuck are you sending your kid to camp in the first place?

Seriously, what is wrong with people?

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

This one time, at band camp ...

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

I see the rotors turning now.

Helicopter parents are Satan's gift to civilization.

Then we have to employ their offspring, and find out they can't do anything without Mommy holding their hand. Except, of course, play Madden.

Or they show up at a job interview with their iPod buds in their ears and the cell phone out in front of them texting five people while you're trying to question them, and then Mom calls and demands to know why you didn't hire little Johnny, and threatens a lawsuit.

5. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

On a serious note - What's sad to me are the kids who haven't been away to a camp in the summer cause their parents can't afford it. Yes, I realize there are several local camps for free, and some give out scholarships, but it breaks my heart when kids can't go cause their parents need them to stay home and babysit their younger siblings cause they can't afford daycare.

6. Faithless

Faithless Member

How in the hell did you find my child's blog?

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

That is pretty sad.

Thankfully, my parents weren't the smothering kind. Having said that, the last time I went to camp, my father was supposed to bring me a week's worth of clean clothes (I was only able to pack a week's worth of clothes for a two-week camp), but he forgot to bring the clean clothes. And you know sleepaway camps don't exactly have laundry facilities.

I'm also lucky that I went to camp pre-cell phone days.

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

cell phones, internet service, all the modern accoutrements have made the modern sleepaway parents worser and worser. i feel for camp directors everywhere having to deal with all this parental b.s.

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I know what you want, Slappy, but I'm not going there with this one.

Another episode of 'The So-Down-To-Earth NYT Mocks its Affluent Readership.' How swell.

And as much as I love to deliver my Jewish mother to you, nothing is more revolting to me than the stereotyping in post you quoted, so I shall move on. Nothing like a little Jew bashing to remind me I have other places to be.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

wow - if this camp was so bad why did you spend 9 years of your life there?

BTW - What is a "stereotypical" rich jewish mom?

11. Board Stiff

Board Stiff Member

Have Paulie take care of it, T.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Well, actually no. I figured you had gone to summer camp. And that just happened to be the post I grabbed it off of. Sorry if that came across poorly.

Draft saved Draft deleted