1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Here's a general question for the experienced

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mike311gd, Oct 27, 2006.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

This seems like common sense to me, but I was wondering something:

How important is the circulation size of a past paper when being considered for a spot at another. I know clips are important, experience, too. But when an editor or management views a resume and letter, will the size of the past publications matter that much?

Thanks.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Depends on what you are doing.

If you are at a 40,000 daily and kicking butt on a college beat, that could be better for a college opening than working as a prep writer at a 250,000 circulation paper.

If you are at a 10,000 daily and your clips are all 25-inch game stories and 50-inch advances, you may not get a job covering the NFL.

If you are at an 8,000 daily and broke the story of the coach selling 'roids to his players or whatever, you can write your ticket.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

How does it work if you are trying to get into the Plain-Dealer? :D

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Not so good. I hear that the Parma paper could be the launching pad I need, though.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I've heard there's a Moon Over Parma... that true?

6. Editude

Editude Active Member

Some depends on geography as well. If there aren't many medium-sized papers near a large one, for instance, then that big paper might be more inclined to hire from smaller places that know the area.

7. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I think the paper's reputation counts for more than its size. A smaller paper that's viewed as a breeder of talent trumps a midsize that does very little. Look at Glens Falls.

Draft saved Draft deleted