1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Here's A Flame Starter

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Fenian_Bastard, Nov 14, 2006.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Some thoughts:

- Allman's at Filmore East is a great album, not a wasted note anywhere, something today's beat-it-to-death jam bands could learn a thing or two from.

- I have a hard time with the ommission of Live At Leeds (in any of its incarnations) for the top 10. Dis-grace-ful.

- Good to see some love for Jimi and Otis at Monterey, which is terrific. For my money, Hendrix In The West is the best live Jimi while Otis Redding Live In Europe is unreal.

- Johnny Winter And: Live kicks some serious ass. One of my all-time faves.

- Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out is easily the best live Stones album but I have read it was also heavily overdubbed which knocks it down a peg or two for me.

- J. Geils was a shit-kicking live band and made two of the best live albums of the 70s: Full House and Blow Your Face Out.

- Nine Tonight doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as Live Bullet. Christ....

- Boom is spot on with his inclusion of Skynyrd's live album. And not just for the 20-minute version of "Free Bird". Killer versions of "T For Texas" and "Gimme Three Steps".

- No Cheap Trick Live At Budokan?

2. Jones

Jones Active Member

I'll take the bullet for KISS, just like I did when KISS Meets the Phantom of the Park didn't make AFI's list of the 100 greatest flicks of all-time.

Just a TV Movie, you say? Only because if it had played in theaters, it would have destroyed the world with its awesomeness.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I was(and still am) a huge Little Feat fan in college, before Lowell George died. Waiting For Columbus was my intro and I loved that album, but after listening to all their albums and a bunch of bootleg concert tapes it's not even close to their best versions on most of the tracks. A neighbor in college was a roadie for Feat for 1 tour and got tapes made from the mixing board. We partied often and listened to a helluva lot of Feat.

BTW, Bonnie Rait credits Lowell George as teaching her to play the slide guitar. I never had the chance to hear The Feat live, but did hear hear Lowell George and Bonnie Rait play together on WHFS radio, back in the day, while being interviewed by Weasel.

Any old school DC music fans around remember when HFS was the real thing?

4. Duane Postum

Duane Postum Member

They were GREAT live. I must have been at one of the very last George shows.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I hear this guy is killer live ...

[​IMG]

6. That said, I'm glad Rock of Ages is there.
    That's some tight shit.

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I'm embarrassed. I thought this thread was going to be about Dion Phaneuf.

Draft saved Draft deleted