1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Here's a blast from the past....Cito Gaston is the new Jays' manager

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I think if I'd been asked to name one player from those World Series teams who'd still be playing in 2008 I wouldn't have come up with Timlin if you gave me 20 guesses.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Kelly Gruber and Duane Ward run a baseball camp up here in the summer and are frequent visitors at the Goose.

After about six vodkas, Gruber is hitting on every female in the place including the waitresses.

Hard to imagine at one point this guy was the most popular athlete in Toronto.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Why did he hate Timlin?

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Wonder if he still goes water skiing in Muskoka.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Have you heard the tale of Gruber and David Wells going to a Kiss show in Toronto, getting backstage and hobnobbing with various hotties, one of whom starts screaming rape?

7. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Moddy,

He felt Timlin was mentally soft, unfit to follow Henke and Ward in the closer role. On Opening Day 1997, Timlin blew a save against Chicago. The Jays' radio voice, Jerry Haworth, blasted Timlin on our Prime Time radio show. That almost never happened. Haworth and Gaston are very close.

It was just too much of a coincidence.

Later that season, Timlin was gone.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Which one of them was calling himself Dr. Love?

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Of course, who got the last out in the 1992 World Series?

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Joe Carter. :)

11. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Cito and Shawn Green weren't exactly on the same page, either.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

haha not sure about that. but Gruber had just gotten married and had to at least pretend to be faithful for a little while. Wells said he was quaking in his boots at the thought of this hitting the papers and his new wife leaving him. Apparently, all this "hobnobbing" occurred in public view backstage and there was nothing going on, other than married men cheating on their wives, and the woman who was threatening to go to the cops was eventually talked off the ledge.

Draft saved Draft deleted