1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Here's a blast from the past....Cito Gaston is the new Jays' manager

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Jun 20, 2008.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

MUAHAHAHAHA! A guy who managed when I watched baseball!!!

Yay. I finally know a major-league manager's name.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Right now, John Gibbons is planning a painful death for Alex Rios after he didn't pick up the ball on that silly Prince Fielder inside-the-park home run yesterday.

4. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I can't believe this.

There is no way Ricciardi did this. This has got Paul Godfrey all over it.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Ricciardi is too busy ripping other team's players to fire his own manager.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I said exactly the same thing to a colleague.

The Blue Jays are gaining on MLSE in the incompetence department.

Cito probably doens't realise that Alomar, Olerud & Molitor aren't in the lineup

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Shouldn't this be on the baseball throwbacks thread?

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

To steal Jeff Blair's line on the Globe site: Talk about Flashback Friday

I was a huge Cito fan in the glory days because I don't think he got anywhere enough credit for managing those championship teams, but I'm a little stunned by this. And bringing back Gene Tenace and Nick Leyva? Where the hell have these guys been for the last 10 years?

Maybe Cito can light a fire under these underachievers (yeah, I'm looking at you Alex Rios, Vernon Wells and A.J. Burnett).

Eliotte's right, this has got to be a Godfrey move. J.P.'s got to be on a very short leash (great move bringing in Gary Denbo only to fire him before the All Star break) and running his mouth about Adam Dunn was a bush move. He'll come into Toronto next week with the Reds and light the fucking Jays up. Maybe then Godfrey will get rid of his ass too. Cliff Fletcher can run the Jays too. On an interim basis only, of course.

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Not to threadjack, but Fielder looked like Morgana running around the bases. He should seriously consider a mansiere

10. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

wells has been solid enough since returning from the DL. Rios ... I've never thought well of him, and I wish they would have dealt him two years ago. The bullpen has been hurt and inconsistent upon returning to health, and Gibbons got axed because of the team's atrocious record in one- and two-run games.

The boys could do much much worse than Cito, so I'm not disappointed with the move. The only bummer for me is that Marty Pevey -- a great quote when I covered him as a minor-league manager -- is out of work. I hope things turn up quickly for him. Good guy.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

IT'S A BRO!

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

A snippet of management speaking to Cito during the job interview:

Roberto Alomar is not walking through that door, Cito. Jimmy Key is not walking through that door, and Paul Molitor is not walking through that door. And if you expect them to walk through that door, they're going to be gray and old!

Draft saved Draft deleted