1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Here you go, Pastor

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Yawn, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Yawn

Yawn New Member

FenPhen, chew on this excerpt:

"As the frontal and temporal lobes grew larger, our ability to extrapolate into the future and form memories developed. "When this happened, we acquired some very new and dramatic cognitive skills. For example, we could see a dead body and see ourselves in that position one day. We could think 'That's going to be me,'" he says. That awareness of impending death prompted questions: why are we here? What happens when we die? Answers were needed."

Now, how exactly can this cognitive function not search via faith for answers? What realm exactly sets the limits on cognitive search? Science? Faith? Will there always be universal questions left to answer?

Gosh, FenPhen. Unless you're immortal, or you plan on having your mind transplanted in some, um, lucky person, you've only got a short time to find out ALL the answers.

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Yes, there will always be universal questions left to be answered, since all the science or faith in the world cannot tell us what happens after we die.

We can have an idea of what might happen, which is where your faith comes in, whether it be reincarnation, transfiguration, or just being cold and dead in the ground, but unless you figure out a way to get a corpse to walk you through it, it seems inconceivable that we will ever know for sure.

3. Yawn

Yawn New Member

I have no argument with that.

Getting back to the original thought, Huckabee's answer was honest. Each of the major religions creation stories have similiarities and quite honestly, the concept of a creator beginning is an easier thing to cognitively process than explaining a virgin birth or a resurrection of the dead. And since in a true sense, evolution is the process of evolving, from which there had to be a START - the application of a creator to the process shouldn't be that difficult for anyone to allow at least the possibility of.

Unless Pastor was there in the beginning to tell us differently. I would also appreciate photographs of the process.

4. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

What does "faith" have to do with anything? If I am the CEO of a company and my CFO says, "Pastor, we need to shift our finances around. The numbers in front of me say we need to cut costs." I'm going to listen to him. I am not going to run to the closest church and ask someone there what I should do about my finances.

Legitimate scientists have, for years, proven evolution over and over and over to the point where the only people that don’t recognize it as fact are those that refuse to listen. As president of the US, I would think that someone who is so daft that they refuse to listen to the factual evidence provided to them would automatically be ruled out of the position.

So, we have Huckabee who stands in front of everyone and says “Despite the facts that everybody has, I refuse to believe.” The man is a simpleton, a moron, and an embarrassment to all humans on this planet.

And just because…
    Wikipedia.org: Treaty of Tripoli
    Article 11 reads:
    “ As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquillity, of Mussulmen; and, as the said States never entered into any war, or act of hostility against any Mahometan nation, it is declared by the parties, that no pretext arising from religious opinions, shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries.”

Official records show that after President John Adams sent the treaty to the Senate for ratification in May 1797, the entire treaty was read aloud on the Senate floor, including the famous words in Article 11, and copies were printed for every Senator. A committee considered the treaty and recommended ratification, and the treaty was ratified by a unanimous vote of all 23 Senators. The treaty was reprinted in full in three newspapers, two in Philadelphia and one in New York City. There is no record of any public outcry or complaint in subsequent editions of the papers.

5. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

pastor, quit trying to push your revisionist history on everyone.
    let's get back to the war on science.

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Yawn...I want you to do me a favor. Stop responding to everyone else and answer this one question.

Where in my post did I say the founding fathers were atheists?

Unless you can provide proof, within the words I typed, that I called them atheists, ALL YOUR OTHER ARGUMENTS ARE AS USELESS AS AN ERECTION WHILE LIVING ON A DESERTED ISLAND.

7. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

fixed

8. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Implied.

9. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Yawn, you understand that it's possible to believe in God without being a Christian, right? That it's possible to believe in a creator without believing in a miraculous Christ? Thomas Jefferson did.

A Theist, for example, believes in the existence of a god or gods, especially in a personal God as creator and ruler of the world.

A Deist believes, based solely on reason, in a God who created the universe and then abandoned it, assuming no control over life, exerting no influence on natural phenomena, and giving no supernatural revelation.

Just something to chew on.

10. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I didn't think it implied that they were atheists. I thought it implied that the government was a secular institution whatever the beliefs of the people that made up that institution may be.

11. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Yes, and it goes beyond the esteemed Pastor's theory of what makes an intelligent human being.

Huckabee's words could have been Jefferson's. All he acknowledged was a Creator God.

12. No.
    What he acknowledged was a creator. He also acknowledged nature's god. Could have been a Druid for all the relevance that has to the Declaration. And the government was consciously, deliberately founded to be utterly secular.
    Oh, and alley didn't "imply" they were athiests, or atheists, either. The big electric FRAUD sign on your noggin is particularly bright tonight.

Draft saved Draft deleted