1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Here you go, Pastor

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Yawn, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Certainly not you.

2. In what sense is faith a "cognitive skill"?
    (This should be good.)

3. Yawn

Yawn New Member

For starters, chew on this...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2005/feb/24/1

4. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Our species' tendency toward "belief" - wired into the primitive brainstem or not - hardly constitutes "skill." Nor is it in any way "cognition."

And isn't it risky bringing science into a discussion to try to prove a point about faith? Especially when you won't rely on science to prove, you know, the authority and authenticity of science in any argument against faith?

5. Oops, didn't read past the link provided by whatever website he found it on.
    Strike the patella tendon. See your leg move?
    Not a "cognitive skill."

6. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

That isn't a comment that moves the discussion forward, provides any evidence, or even provides information to back up the statement. In short, you have no comeback and are lacking in the reality of the situation that I spelled out.

Huckabee is unfit for the position he is applying to. The YouTube clip you provided, demonstrates this. FACT.

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Odd that Yawn would use science to back up his claim about faith rebuking science. Isn't that what's called an anomoly?

And if I hear once more someone claim "we're a Christian nation" I'm going to vomit in their lap, ala George Herbert Walker Pomegranite Vestibule Bush IV. Christianity may be the dominant religion, but we are NOT a Christian nation. The Constitution made sure of that.

8. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Thank you, Alley Allen, offering another historical respin that the founding fathers were athiests.

On your other "point," I will say that I don't loathe science. The creator made it a part of our world and its processes. It contributes greatly to discovery and to things that help our well-being as a collective and as a planet. I also think there's room for both faith and science, and I believe, as Huckabee, that it is possible for a boom or whatever to originate from a creator who in our image isn't a literal "person" but a force that can interrelate to his creation.

Unlike the man who chooses to call himself Pastor, who must beleive that to have any faith is to live in a Santa Claus world; who believes that the absolute belief in evolution will allow a president to stop the Iraq War, halt global warming, stop crime, profit the world financial market, end hunger, provide world health care ..... and so on.

9. Well, that whole "cognitive skill" thing went down the ol' memory hole in a hurry, didn't it?
    I also search in vain for alley's argument that the Founders were athiests, or even atheists.

10. Yawn

Yawn New Member

And once again, Fenian asks for and gets an example of my explanation and when met with the logic of an authority other than himself, he immediately cuts it off, in much the way he dreams he could with as a member of an American politburo.

11. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

But he's winning the War on Christmas!

12. No, the authority to which you linked -- Odds are better than even that you didn't read the piece -- made no claims that faith was a "cognitive skill," as was pointed out to you by two of us prior to your latest factfree outburst. And I'm still waiting for how alley called the Founders athiests, or even atheists.

Draft saved Draft deleted