1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Here you go, Pastor

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Yawn, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

wow, all y'all got what you deserved by signing on to this.

2. Calvin Hobbes

Calvin Hobbes Member

Whiskey tango foxtrot? What is scary about a man who says he believes in God? CNN must haved edited out the part where he says you have to believe, too, or else.

No one will ever accuse me of being a religious zealot (I can't remember the last time I went to church or tried to foist the idea of an all-knowing, all-power supreme being on someone), but you have to read pretty far down on my list of scary people to find Mike Huckabee.

3. Yawn

Yawn New Member

But FenPhen and Co., is running.....
    And Ragu, I think it would be many more running away if a Muslim was running and contending for president of a country which is predominantly Christian.

4. Yawn

Yawn New Member

I bet he shot straighter than nine-tenths of the liars on any given podium. Hell, the Clintons based truth on the latest poll data, and that isn't the way I define a leader of the free world.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

told ya.

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I did think it was totally awesome when he said there are probably candidates who don't believe in God. That wasn't a strawman or anything. No sirree. Democrats? Paganists! Dancing round the maypole!

What's that, you say? All but one professes faith in a mainstream Christian denomination? The only one who doesn't is Unitarian Mike Gravel, who has as much chance of winning the presidency as I do? Well, golly.

One more thing: If Hillary stood up there, was asked the same question and gave the same answer, you'd be on here pitching a fit about how she "ducked the question" and "refused to take a stand" and "doesn't have the courage of her convictions." Explain to me how not answering the damn question makes Mike Huckabee a strong leader and Hillary Clinton the first cousin of the Ayatollah.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I could have stated it a bit better, but he doesn't just believe in God. He's an ordained minister and until he realized it was a bit of a liability with the evolution thing, it was the thing he wanted out there as the attribute people might choose him on, as in "Huckabee, God's candidate." That scares me for the reasons I outlined. Experience tells me that politicians like that hide what they have in mind long enough to get elected and then let "God" dictate their policy. I personally don't want that. Also, as I said, "God" to him is Christianity. And as much as I agree with many Christian values, I don't buy into some of what I consider the loonier aspects of what many politicians who consider themselves Christian end doing. There is no reason to fight efforts to do stem cell research, sex education is not a bad thing and I don't want someone who needs to be reminded constantly that we are a secular country. I am afraid Huckabee is that guy, he is just hiding it a bit right now, because he knows being what he has represented himself to be in Arkansas won't fly in much of the rest of the country. I could be wrong. But I don't want to take that chance.

8. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Huckabee's answer was not just wrong and full of misinformation but it painted two points that people need to believe in according to him. He stated that either you believe God created everything or you believe it was all an accident.

The reality is that there is evidence that points out information regarding the Big Bang Theory. There is no evidence about mythological gods doing any such creation.

The other reality is that a third option, one that Huckabee refused to speak on, was the answer of "I don't know." It really is a simple option. Maybe there wasn't a big bang but more of a simple twist. A lot of people say, I don't know, because they don't know and they don't like the two options that Huckabee declared are the only two.

I also wanted to point out that Huckabee refused to accept evolution as fact. Doing show demonstrates to me that he is in no way intelligent enough to be president.

9. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Hillary would have PC'd the question. Huckabee did answer it. It just reveals your perspective on listening that you didn't hear what he said.

As to how many Democrats profess a faith, faith is only legitimate if it is lived. I'm pretty confident Huckabee does, and I'm pretty confident mysteriously dead people and corrupt business deals aren't surrounding Huckabee's history.

10. Yawn

Yawn New Member

I guess you were around at the time of the "twist" as you put it. Hell, you don't even really know. It happened, and something had to make it happen. Ultimately, creation has to have a beginning component. And since you struggle mightily in any faith and rely only on what reason you can grasp, then you wouldn't comprehend that. Which may or may not limit your cognitive abilities.

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

The question was, "Do you believe in the biblical story of creation."

The answer was, repeatedly, "I don't know," followed by a minute and a half of talking about how he believes in God and other, unnamed candidates probably don't, a period of obfuscation so pronounced that Blitzer asked him the original question again, and he again said, "I don't know."

Fact of the matter is, he's getting more popular, realizing his hard-line views on evolution will be a handicap and backing off his previous stance for a more carefully crafted version. Again, when Hillary does that, you accuse her of "PC'ing the question," whatever the hell that means.

12. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Saying "I don't know" doesn't indicate a weakness in someone. If Bush had said "I don't know" at the time of his invasion of Iraq, the dove ranch would have been fully flappin in here. Hillary wouldn't have answered her conscience, as she normally does not. Hers is choreographed by polls, pundits and party power.

Draft saved Draft deleted