1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Here we go again with ESPN

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by txscoop, Oct 25, 2007.

1. txscoop

txscoop Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3079140

What happened to the days when you had to have at least two credible sources to run a story?

ESPN is just a rumor mill.

2. dragonfly

dragonfly Member

Normally I'd agree with you, but Buster Olney has earned the right to speculate a bit. i don't think he'd run it without having several sources. He just didn't name the other ones, but I'm assuming Colletti or someone in the Dodgers' front office told him he was on the right track. I don't think he'd run something just based on what an agent said.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Wouldn't this piss you off if you were the Yankees? Or is Girardi just covering himself, "pulling out of consideration" before they offer the job to Donnie Baseball?

4. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

Not that you have to, but I'd love to hear a further explanation on this. Is it time spent working that 'earns you the right to speculate a bit.' Is it scoops?
    And who else has earned this right?

5. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

I'd say so. And I'd say Peter Gammons has certainly earned this right. With the way he speculates, the way he gets in there during the trade deadline, I'd almost be surprised if some general managers didn't call him personally for information or use him as some kind of middle man.

That guy is almost always 100% correct.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Where does is say Girardi is "pulling out of consideration?"

In fact it says if he doesn't get the Yankees job there might be an opportunity with the Dodgers

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I believe I remember reading in Moneyball Billy Beane would call Gammons on deadline day to see what he was hearing other teams were offering for players he was interested in.

8. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

What about in regards to NBA and NFL rumors? Who has 'earned' the right to speculate?

9. txscoop

txscoop Member

I don't think anyone deserves the right to speculate and put it in print. I was always taught you need at least 2 sources.

10. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I'm going to respectfully suggest that in all cases the answer - first and foremost - is apt to involve people who do their work using their real names. Crazy!

11. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

Got it. Thanks, amigo. That clears everything up.

Draft saved Draft deleted