1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Here, SI. Here's a cover you can use next week, gratis.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Satchel Pooch, Nov 10, 2007.

1. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

I thought it was a goof when I saw the newest SI on the shelves. Boston? Again?

A generation of future insufferables grew up with the "Celtic Pride" cover on their bedroom walls, did they not?

Now they have to put something new up every week.

How many this year? Brady. Moss. Pats defenders. Celtic trio. Papelbon. Twice Is Nice. I'm sure I'm missing a half-dozen more.

We get it. Boston's teams are teh awesome!

After you use this one this week, no more, please. Jesus.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

I'm sorry, I must have missed the sports story last week that was talked about more than Pats/Colts. Or the World fucking Series the week before that. Or an NBA storyline that was bigger than the Celtics' supposed "Big 3."

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

You can rip SI, but what are they supposed to do?

The two Red Sox covers are covers that are baseball every year -- the championship series and the WS. With the NL series done, the CS wasn't an option, and with the Red Sox sweeping the WS, that wasn't an option, either.

The NBA preview featured the Celtics. Pretty sound editorial decision there.

And the Patriots are 9-0 and the Colts-Pats game was by far the biggest sporting event in the country last week. I'm sure if Indy won they'd have been on the cover.

In other words, they don't really have a choice. Unless they want to put something else on the cover to deliberately avoid anything from the Boston area.

4. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

Oh really? Did Papelbon have to be the cover of the baseball playoffs issue? Did the Patriots need to be on three covers and counting. I can see one or two, but three.

Come on.

5. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

SI already told us the Pats are Scary. We know that. They still are. They didn't need to pose six guys and tell us they're Still Perfect, or whatever it was. Run it inside. What's wrong with regularly running some illustration out front that promotes a pull-out like they used to?

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Hey, when are the New England Revolution going to get some love? They're in the MLS Championship game!

7. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

FWIW, they had a little fun with it inside, on the Leading Off page, where they wrote, "We know, we know -- four weeks in a row. Thanks to world titles, medageals and unbeaten seasons, teams from Boston have taken over SI's last four covers ...."

Hard to blame them for any of the covers, though. Boston sports are just on an amazing roll right now. Just gotta deal with it.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

So let me get this straight. SI puts Papelbon on the cover of the baseball playoffs issue. Writes a story saying he'll be key to the Sox chances.

The Red Sox then win the World Series with Papelbon saving, what, three of four games?

And for this, you rip them?

And, while we're at it, SI puts the Patriots on the cover three times during a season in which they've gone 9-0, destroyed their opponents and have a legitimate shot at finishing undefeated. And you're ripping them for that?

What the fuck? Should they be covering the JV? They work just as hard, you know.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I've got no problem with taking the biggest story of the week and putting it out front. Apparently, neither does Sports Illustrated.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Are they supposed to foresee the Red Sox making the World Series and making another cover? I can't stand Boston sports teams, but I can't blame SI here. It happens.

11. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

JESUS ARE THEY REALLY???

I know it's a minor sport, but if Matt Ryan didn't shit the bed a few weeks ago there wouldn't be an ass big enough to hold the size of the horseshoe they have going on right now.

Bostonites: Are there contrarian hipsters up there who tell people they only care about the Bruins?

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

What a pissah for you, Poochie

Draft saved Draft deleted