1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Here comes Irma

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

There aren't many things worse in this country than the way we warehouse old, feeble people while they are clinging to hopes that they can die gently and gracefully.

lakefront likes this.
  2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Marlins shift weekend series vs. Brewers to Milwaukee. Hope to return home Monday vs. Mets.

3. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Still without power ...

But the thing I find to be a bit insufferable is the people that have power, or had it back almost immediately after Irma left the building, have the gall to tell people to be patient.

They're able to take hot showers, do laundry, live in air conditioning. Me, I had to be on Facebook for loan of a generator (which I was luckily able to get), had to ask a friend to be able to use their shower, and all the time worry about how I'm not going to sweat to death every night, despite the use of a medium size fan that thankfully keeps me cool enough to get 2-3 hours of sleep so that I can roll my big ass out of bed and do it all over again the next day.

I said on Twitter, it's bad when you look forward to work, not because you happen to love your job, which I do at times, but because then for at least 8 hours you have electricity and a/c in abundance.

But hey, I'm being patient. I'm not going around screaming at linesmen who have given up their families to come help us or driving around and giving them the middle finger. I appreciate everything they're doing. They don't have to be here and yet, here they are, dealing with messes like this ...

091217_SW_IRMA_1_NEWS_20029145.JPG

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I'm not sure why anyone tells other people to "be patient." Seems to me anyone told that usually has no choice.

"All right, enough is enough. I'm tired of being patient!" Okey dokey, now what?

Tommy_Dreamer likes this.
  5. Tommy_Dreamer

UPDATE: Power has been restored to the Dreamer homestead. Too bad I'm at work and can't enjoy it.

So many without power still in Tampa area though. Here in the Lakeland area, I've heard that if it's not back on at your place tonight, it could be another week because that means they've had to rebuild the grid.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

7. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

So much for reliving this classic moment, which I will forever associate with Brewers at Marlins:

[​IMG]

8. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

That's like the ping-pong version of Top Gun's volleyball match.

Batman likes this.
  9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I hope you've got spare fuses for the AC. A lot of times when the power kicks back on, it will surge and burn fuses and/or trip breakers.

11. Tommy_Dreamer

I can report that did not happen, but thanks for the tip. I will keep an eye out for this. Had one friend's house nearly burn down after their power was restored because something shorted out in the main line and caused a fire from the meter to the roof.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Hot Cop is a Nazi, but haha he's totally just kidding with you, and did we mention he's hot?

GPD receives complaint against 'hot cop'

One screen shot is of an April 2013 post, in which Hamill writes: “Who knew that reading jewish jokes before I go to bed would not only make me feel better about myself but also help me to sleep better as well. Here is one for everybody, “What’s the difference between boy scouts and jews?” Anybody know? Well it is because “Boy scouts come back from their camps.”

In another screen shot from a 2011 post, Hamill writes: “so I find it funny that people will talk about how our government needs to do something about our economy and in reality it’s YOU who needs to stop taking advantage of our system and get a life and do something with your life. Gotta love reality when it hits you in the face. Stupid people annoy me. Put them in an oven and deal with them the Hitler way. Haha.”

Draft saved Draft deleted