1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Herb Carneal, longtime voice of Twins, dies at 83

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by D-3 Fan, Apr 1, 2007.

1. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Sad news from Minneapolis. Carneal died this morning from congestive heart failure. Herb was the long time voice of the Twins on radio and was teamed up for a long time with John Gordon.

http://www.startribune.com/509/story/1093520.html

RIP Herb. You were one of the reasons I enjoyed listening to baseball on radio.

2. Shit. RIP Herb.

It's really depressing knowing it's just a matter of time before Scully, Kalas, Brennaman, et al, pass on as well. :(

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Well, hell. It's really just a matter of time before ANY of us pass on.
    Some will go sooner rather than later. It is the way things work.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

This sucks.

The ONLY guy I ever listened to calling Twins games on the radio. So many drives across the state with him calling the game in the summer, saying hello to the farmers who were listening in their tractors.

Touch 'em all, Herb. You will be missed.

5. Doesn't make it any less depressing.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Moddy: Cutting out the bullshit and delivering the straight scoop since 2002.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

That said, it is a shame. Old radio guys are the best.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I only heard Carneal in his later days, when he was doing an inning or two of Twins home games.

He was still more enjoyable than John Gordon was for the remaining innings of the game.

RIP.

9. leo1

leo1 Active Member

that's sad. he was an icon. still is, i guess. by all accounts he was a class act.

having said that, and this will be slanderous to some, he should have been off the air about five years ago. it was one of those situations in which the team was smart enough to know it could never get rid of him (like the tigers tried with ernie harwell) but he was really slipping, calling out the wrong names, calling home runs as catches and vice versa.

to me, dan gladden makes twins broadcasts listen-able.

10. D-3 Fan

Actually leo, it was Carneal's call to scale back the number of games he was calling and then cutting back on the number of home games he was doing due to his health (you already read that in the link, so forgive me for d_b'ing it). He's been cutting back since 2000. It was the reason they got Gladden to join the booth with Gordon. The Twins were not going to clip him outright anyway. But to answer your point, I think don't it was slanderous to say it. In certain circumstances, they are some who tend to stay a little too long, but as long as they are sharp as a wit, most teams have to find ways to keep them involved.

Back to Herb, I didn't start listening to Twins games until after they won the WS in 1987. Being an AM radio freak, I love listening to play-by-plays of games (football, basketball, baseball) on radio. I ended up finding WCCO and it's affiliate, WNAX in Yankton, S.D., to listen to all of the games. Carneal calling Twins home games in the evening with a 6:30 start was a good way to unwind the day as the sun started to set as he described the exploits of Gladden, Kirby, Gaetti, and the Twinkies.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I used to listen on WNAX, too, D-3. Though, on a clear summer evening, you had your choice between that and CCO.

And on a really good night when I was a kid, you could pick up Jack Buck calling the Cards on WMOX.

Satellite radio might improve on that, but not by much.

12. D-3 Fan

Fixed. KMOX was a giant when they carried the Cardinals until they decided to move over to KTRS, a lower frequency station. In college, I could get the Redbirds, the Blues, and Billiken basketball. They have lost all of them, which sucks. CCO is in the same boat this year after losing the Twinkies to KFAN. I hope NAX or KGLO in Mason City can still carry them this season.

Doing that stuff as a kid still stays with me today. Tuning into WJR to get Ernie Harwell, WHB now has Denny Matthews, and several times this year, I can pick up WHAS to get Louisville and Kentucky, and WWL to get LSU.

Good times, good times.

Draft saved Draft deleted