1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Herald to cut about 175 positions

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Andy _ Kent, Mar 11, 2009.

1. HorseWhipped

HorseWhipped Guest

Well, they blew the horns,
    and the walls came down.
    They'd all been warned,
    and the walls came down.

They just stood there laughing ...
    They're not laughing anymore.

- The Call

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Someone cue up Petty quoting Springsteen.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

To be fair to him, that's the kind of thing he does; he reports on media in South Florida.

Most of the people on that list should understand the way this works.

4. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

I sure hope none of the commenters bitching about the posting of the list of names is a newspaper reporter.

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Unfortunately, I'm sure some are.

This is a very emotional thing, so it's really hard to get pissed at them. But they're really forgetting what we're all about.

You know what I'd really be curious about: How many of the people who are mad about the names read those lists from other papers with interest when it didn't involve them personally.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I would gather some are on the list.

7. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

Hey, I understand. But it is still bullshit. One commenter on that blog argued that, although papers report on industrial layoffs, they don't publish a list of names. But GM doesn't list the names of its assembly-line workers on its web site. Newspapers do. We are public figures. Every single one of us.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

First sports person on the list.
    Mike Phillips.

9. HorseWhipped

HorseWhipped Guest

I like this perspective:

TruthSeeker says:

I applaud Bob Norman for letting the public know the talent that is being forced out of the Miami Herald.

Posted On: Wednesday, Mar. 11 2009 @ 6:49PM

10. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

11. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Forgetting the business somewhat, and simply as a reader: Dan Christensen, the main Herald watchdog type reporter in Broward County, is on the list.

This guy has uncovered a lot of corruption and wrongdoing. He has 30 years of institutional knowledge. There's no replacing that. And what it means, I think, for me as a Broward reader is that there's one less set of eyes on a lot of corrupt officials in the county, and who knows what's coming from the Sun-Sentinel cuts?

Readers DESERVE to know these names, I think, as hard as it can be for the people on the list. And believe me: Dan Christensen, for one, understands.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Agree on Dan.

Draft saved Draft deleted