1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Herald to cut about 175 positions

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Andy _ Kent, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

It pales compared with everything else in the memo, but notice that they're killing the International Edition, known in-house for years as "The Clipper."

It was an oddity, probably done more for institutional ego than profit. But it was kind of cool working somewhere that had an international edition. In sports, at least when I was there, the Dade final was done at 1:30 and one person would stay till about 3 a.m. to do the Clipper. At the time, South Florida had no NHL team and hockey coverage was minimal, not even a roundup -- just agate to give tourists the basics. But one editor made absolutely certain that on his watch, readers in Central and South America had thorough coverage of the NHL.

As the man used to say, "Adios, chicos."

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The International edition isn't the same as the spanish version of the paper is it?

Someone told me at one point the spanish edition was incredibly profitable, but that was a long time ago and granted, I don't think Cuba had the internet a few years ago. I'm not 100 percent sure Cuba has the Internet now.

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

No, the International Edition was in English. Approximately.

It was kind of slapped together.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

This is numbing.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

But give me a SptsRu before you leave.

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I must admit -- I HATED doing the Clipper. But done it was when I was filling in, and I followed the best soccer and hockey news judgment of the main man.

Have seen four names so far and sure enough, one of them was a good friend of mine from the Sun-Sentinel who went on to work at the Herald. Not a sports guy, but married to a Sun-Sentinel editor. I was stunned to see him on this early list. Really sucks.

7. Mizzougrad96

So no list yet, but this is going down today?

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

9. Mizzougrad96

Still no names from sports.

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Any word on Howard Cohen, a music writer for The Miami Herald?

When he's done stories about Stevie Nicks's latest CD or concert performance, he's always struck me as actually *getting* her, which so many reviewers don't. I imagine it's also a reflection on his work covering other musical acts.

11. Mizzougrad96

Well, if he "gets" Stevie Nicks, I'm sure there is no way he gets axed.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Just 'cause you didn't get her and lost your job, no reason to be snarky.

Draft saved Draft deleted