1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Herald to cut about 175 positions

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Andy _ Kent, Mar 11, 2009.

1. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Holy shit. That's all, just holy shit.

2. Blair Waldorf

Blair Waldorf Member

I'd heard rumors about this type of behavior via friends in Miami, but I never believed it until now.

Wow.

3. SoBeOrNotSoBe

SoBeOrNotSoBe Member

I, for one, believe "the bullet". I'm not one for kicking a man while he's down, but I had enough negative experiences with the guy -- anger management stuff -- that I'm not surprised. At all.

Shain's a whole different ballgame. It's a travesty if he goes. Never knew Sarah.

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Is there anyone else, at least on some level, a little bit uneasy about annonymous posters trashing someone -- based on a personal conversation in an office -- on a message board?

I'm not saying the story is true or it isn't because I have no idea -- the problem I have is the only name being thrown around in this story is Mike Phillips so we have no idea of ever knowing if it really did happen......

5. HorseWhipped

HorseWhipped Guest

Shain is the best. Writes well, writes clean, never a problem.

Probably three others at the Herald that should go before Jeff Shain.

Shain always did everything they asked of him, and that can't be said about some of the others. Guy always knows how to do everything that is expected from him: Gamer, side story, notes, other stuff.

You call him up, he says this: "What more can I give you? Anything you need."

That is Jeff Shain.

6. HorseWhipped

HorseWhipped Guest

And yet don't you, Zag, have a record on this site for being a total dick at times?

7. SoBeOrNotSoBe

SoBeOrNotSoBe Member

Couldn't agree more.

8. zagoshe

There is a huge difference between two annonymous people on a message board calling each other dickheads, jackasses and shit for brains and one annoymous person sharing an alleged personal story about a real person based on a private conversation and using the other person's name but not his own.

The two are not remotely close to being the same.

If you can't understand the difference, I can't help you.

9. zagoshe

And for the record it is not "at times" it is all the time....

Get it right, jackass..... ;D

10. SoBeOrNotSoBe

SoBeOrNotSoBe Member

I wouldn't have had the guts to post that account. But I have reason -- many reasons, actually -- to believe it. All I'm sayin'.

I'm not sayin' I'm glad to see him go. A little piece of me dies with every layoff, actually, no matter who it is.

11. zagoshe

You misunderstand.

I don't doubt the story, I have no reason to believe it or doubt it because I don't know any of the people involved.

I'm just questioning whether it is a good thing that one of the people in the story has been identified -- and thus his credibility and reputation is on the firing line -- and the other person is not.

12. HorseWhipped

HorseWhipped Guest

Thanks for the clarification, Dick.

Draft saved Draft deleted