1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Herald to cut about 175 positions

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Andy _ Kent, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

Evil, obviously it's a moot point now, but having just gotten back from Doral where me and my 5-year-old son battled the enormous Tiger gallery and watched the media throngs bombard him after he walked off of No. 18, I can tell you that when he started finding his stroke and was in double digits under par at the turn and climbing up the board to within 5 strokes at one point, he looked in the hunt.

2. He moved within five strokes (at the turn)? And you say he was in contention?
    Umm, OK.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Now would you have said same comment about any other player in the field?

4. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

Nope. And that's precisely my point.

Now that we have veered off the topic of this thread, may I suggest we move on and get back on track? Herald layoffs and more ugly shenanigans by the beancounters, remember?

5. joe king

joe king Active Member

FYI, he was nine back. With 18 guys ahead of him.

Now back to our scheduled programming.

6. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

Joe,

Thanks for the correction. And he did finish tied for 9th and only three shots out of fourth for whatever that's worth.

But I digress. A lot more important things to discuss on here, including the demise of the Seattle P-I.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

OK, here's what bothers me several days later. I asked/begged/pleaded for someone to get in touch and tell me my information was wrong and I haven't received any such notice yet. We do, I think, have some clarification that there's a list of those to go IF they don't get enough folks to take the buyout? Is that correct? So the people we have discussed may or may not be safe?
    Christ on a crutch this is a sick and sad time.

8. Blair Waldorf

Blair Waldorf Member

The McClatchy model this time around has gone like this:

You get a packet (if you aren't tapped on the shoulder that day and told you are gone). In your work packet is some form letter that says We're sorry to cut positions, but we've decided to eliminate x number of positions in your workgroup. If you want to take the transition voluntarily, the final day to turn in your acceptance is 10 a.m. (of some day exactly a week later). If not enough members of your workgroup take the voluntary transition, we will begin involuntary separation based tenure.

You are the (insert position here) least tenured person in your work group.

Here's a scenario -- you are eliminating seven writers. Writers 7, 6, and 5 voluntarily take the buyout (they did not want to be saved - and only got 3 months of COBRA paid for), two writers not on the list take the buyout, saving writers 4 and 3. Writers 2 and 1 are involuntarily separated (receiving 9 months of COBRA).

You may have heard the names that are on the "list", but the debate will go on until the deadline to turn in paperwork.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'm told quite reliably that the "gone if not enough buyouts" stuff is true. Sadly.
    Christ. What a business it has become. Makes me wanna cry again.

10. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

I can't imagine continuing to work under those conditions:

"We have targeted you for elimination, but if enough of your cohorts willingly head to the gallows first, then you will be spared -- FOR NOW."

Yep. That would certainly inspire me to give it my all until that news is delivered. :mad: :mad:

11. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Exactamundo.

Remember those good ol' days where we used to fret that volunteering for a buyout, and then not getting it, might tip your hand to management and damage your career trajectory at your current shop? ::)

Seems like something from the days when VHF and UHF were your only choices.

12. Blair Waldorf

Blair Waldorf Member

Well, in my case, I took the buyout the first day I was allowed -- the person who was "saved" was informed that afternoon by management.

They aren't turning anyone down, I know that for a fact. At my shop, too many news reporters took the buyout, so instead of turning them down, they took some of the editors that were to be let go and made them into hybrid writer/editors for the metro/cops beat.

Draft saved Draft deleted