1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Herald to cut about 175 positions

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Andy _ Kent, Mar 11, 2009.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

If salary were an overriding factor, there'd be a lot more managers getting
    whacked. In fact, I have heard it said -- and later proven -- that salary was not as important as overall head count, for some unknown reason. (Probably those deciding who stays and who goes don't want to enter a world where they're going to have to be twice as productive by virtue of making twice as much.)

Beat, yes, but I've seen people shifted to more essential beats and then the existing beat writer is shown the door. Reporters are cut because they are making $10K more than another reporter, and yet the takeout person making $30-40K more than either of them stays despite the supposed focus on increased byline count and Web presence.

As I said, drive-by shooting. The intended targets might get hit, but so do a lot of people where it makes no sense at all.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i don't believe it's nearly as drive-by as you, but i guess that's why we're here.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Tomayto, tomahto. I take your point.

But the original intent of my fired-up post was to point out the clear implication (not yours, I know that) that one person deserved to stick around because he was willing to work harder and take orders better than the others. I'm sure we'd agree it just doesn't happen that way.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

and i'm sorry if i watered down your point.

a vast majority of us know/should know there's a pink slip with our name on it if we hang around this business long enough. i assure you i wasn't attempting to be flip.

5. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

Drive-by, heat-seeking, cluster bomb. Whatever the method, the end result is still the same fellas. People are out of work -- good, hard-working people, at a time when it's very hard to find a job. And it truly fuckin' sucks!!! :mad:

6. Getting back to the anonymous issue - yeah I use my real name, but then again we have about five Mike Harris' in this sports writing world. Sooooooo ...

Anyway, I am deeply saddened for Mike Phillips. Great guy from the time I was cub corro in the Broward Bureau at the Herald and the subsequent 35 papers (exaggerated) papers I worked at since. To the the time, I was Prez of the FSWA, he was always someone I enjoyed just saying "Hey" to. Always a good guy to get info for, whether it be him in Miami or Buddy Collings in Orlando/Gainesville. These were/are guys who KNEW High School sports in the state of Florida. And whether anyone knows it, preps in Florida is something you have to really work hard at having knowledge - not to mention all the crap you take from parents.

I hope for the best for Mike and his family.

The Herald gave me my start in the mid-80s and its sad to see it going downhill. Good luck to all there.

7. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

Don't forget Steve Dorsey with the P.B. Post, who took a buyout back in August and now is flourishing as a freelancer down here. Talk about a wealth of high school knowledge down here. Dorsey is right at the top.

8. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Newspapers that lay people off based on what they are covering at the moment are making a huge mistake. Keep the talent and find a new beat for him/her. If you have to cut your staff, don't cut your good writers just because they are on a less crucial beat at the moment.

9. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

No, actually my posts spoke directly about Pete and no one else. No need to put words in my mouth. Like I've said, if I wanted to rip on someone I would come out and do it. But I have no such interest and just wanted to share what I knew Pete was doing to help himself. Doesn't mean everything else is sitting around and doing nothing or that he's better than everyone else, works harder or is more talented.

It's too bad if people take what I have to say so personally because that's not how it was intended.

Aside from that, welcome to the board. And here's a suggestion: Go decaf.

10. gridiron

gridiron Member

My understanding is that Shain is not a done deal. There will be some buyouts offered, I believe. If the desired number of takers isn't reached, then I think Shain (others, too?) might be let go. I'm fairly certain that's accurate.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

This is not a knock at you gridiron because I have heard the same thing - seems no one knows for sure exactly what the fuck is going on down there. They're on a list - do they start at the top? First buyout? You're saved. Next buyout? You're saved *** how does that work?

Had dinner with two old friends still in the business and there's a lot of confusion going on everywhere. Is there a person in the profession not on pins and needles?

Lord I miss the newspaper business - the way it used to be.

12. gridiron

gridiron Member

Moddy, I hear you. It's no way to live. That's for damn sure.

Draft saved Draft deleted