1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Herald cuts now official

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Apr 26, 2009.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Those Miami Herald cuts we talked about several weeks ago here were official Friday, and unfortunately, hopes that some people leaving might mean others could stay wasn't the case when it came to most of the names we discussed in the sports department:

http://blogs.browardpalmbeach.com/pulp/2009/04/another_miami_herald_farewell.php#more

Also, LeBetard is coming back to write a column a week, the memo says.

(It's a long memo.)

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

So Shain and Phillips are among those gone? I recall hoping I'd receive a PM telling me that info was wrong.
    Kee-rist. What a business.

3. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

I have no use whatsoever for those fuckin' memos.

We're shoving you out the door, but you're a great journalist.

STFU.

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Yes, that seems to be the case. On a personal note, old colleague Dan Christensen, a watchdog in my area, is gone, too, as feared.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

St. Pete, Orlando and Miami now are all without full-time auto racing writers?

6. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

I'm actually curious as to which papers in the country still actually do have full-time auto racing writers.

7. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Hoo-boy, what a super memo.

"Let's enjoy the good times with our colleagues. Laugh with me as I tell funny stories and quips. Then watch them all leave as everyone who is left behind slaving like dogs wonders about cutbacks in the second half of the year."

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Did I miss Shain's name in that memo? I saw Phillips and Rothchild (sp?).

9. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

...In his 10 years here, Jeff Shain has earned the respect of his peers by being one of the most knowledgeable and helpful members of our Sports staff. He has written with authority on golf, Florida State (and UF and UM) and college football. He is an outstanding planner and a clever, prolific writer who files well-crafted, error-free stories no matter the deadline. His expertise across a wide range was always appreciated.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That sucks... I read it fast and hoped he'd escaped the cuts.

I do find these career eulogies incredibly condescending.

11. Yeah, like if you really believed all that crap, why are you dumping him?

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

well struck...

Draft saved Draft deleted