1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Helping Your Child Get Started: WWYD?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by doctorquant, May 31, 2016.

1. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Would she be interested in espresso machine repair?

YankeeFan and exmediahack like this.
  2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Well, they certainly would argue that her diploma should be marked with an asterisk or something.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Maybe she could be a professional babysitter service. Does Austin have a zoo?

4. doctorquant

Actually, she's been doing some of that.

And one might argue that Austin is a zoo ...

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  5. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

I'm thinking she could become a Zija or body wrap distributor. Wouldn't you want the best for your daughter? Who would say "no" to making $100,000 a year while working part time?

6. doctorquant

I have two words for you ... essential oils.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Did she consider career options when she decided to pursue the English degree?
    If she has no intern or work experience, perhaps looking for entry-level opportunities in tech. writing could work.
    I don't want to sound negative, but I do not think project management is a viable option. PM is a course of study and a professional certification.

8. doctorquant

Oh, you're not sounding negative. Being a project manager isn't something you just up and do ... it's something you work your way into, typically after having stood out in some other area(s). I don't have the PMP certification, but I know a good bit about it.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I have a PMP certification, which means ANYONE can get one. She'd probably have to start out with the cPMP, or whatever the junior level is called now. I think you still need 4,500 hours to get the PMP and something like half to get the cPMP. At least here in the DC area, there's good damn money if you're a Project or Program Manager. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to PM me. Good luck and congrats on having a kid that doesn't suck!

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

What attracted her to English as a course of study? Perhaps defining that will help point toward appropriate career paths.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Also, studying English doesn't mean she has to pursue writing.
    Social work and ministry as interests seem indicate some possible career paths, but social work, like PM, requires some specialized education and professional certification.

Perhaps there are some nonprofits in Austin that do work or address causes that might interest her.
    She could look for jobs in that area, or she could land a job to pay the bills while she does some volunteer that can help augment her resume.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Everything I could, and then I would teach them that they are incredibly lucky to grow up in such a family and don't use their success as the foundation of a political philosophy.

Draft saved Draft deleted