1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Helping those Depressed....And doing it all wrong

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Jun 11, 2018.

1. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I usually say something along those lines. If it seems bad, I may ask if they've had thoughts of harming themselves. I always tell them I'm there if they need to talk or just need to someone to be there. In my experience, there were a lot of times I really didn't want to talk, but it was nice to have someone around.

OscarMadison and Vombatus like this.
  2. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Some people might not feel comfortable with that. Everything else is perfect.

OscarMadison and Vombatus like this.
  3. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Well, I'm assuming it's not a conversation you're having with your doorman. In that case, agreed.

4. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

My recommendation is also delete the “Sometimes life is really hard. It will get better.”

Some depressions don’t have anything to do with a hard thing. They just happen. The idea of life getting better is so outside the realm of anything with this sort of chronic depression to grasp, it is meaningless.

If it is a depression triggered by some event, it may be something that doesn’t get better. Say, a death.

Say I’m sorry. Offer to do something with the person, even if it is only sitting in silence. Make sure the person is getting professional help. Remind the person if the first or second or third or fourth therapist sucks to keep looking until the right one is found. Make sure the person isn’t refusing medication because it would be a sign of weakness or some other perceived stigma. If it is someone you are close to, keep reaching out no matter how many times you are rebuffed.

OscarMadison, Vombatus and typefitter like this.
  5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I took it to mean he could tell I've either dealt with it myself or knew others who did.

6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Great response, @Amy .

I think one key is offering to be there to LISTEN and support.

Offering a lot of potential solutions to someone sometimes isn’t at all helpful. They just need someone to LISTEN and to be there for them in the present moment.

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

What a lot of people don't get is that it's not always circumstantial. Wonky body chemistry, head injuries, and sleep deprivation can trigger depressive episodes. I'm diabetic and have chronic pain. If I'm not careful, I can sink to a level where I'm spending my off hours staring at the ceiling. It has made me very aware of signs of depression or conditions that can lead to someone else tumbling into a sinkhole.

One evening I was at a used media store just west of Nashville. There was a woman my age who was arguing with someone who was trying to get her to eat a cookie because her numbers were dipping. She went outside to sit on one of the benches in front of the store. I sat with her and offered her the fig bar I carry for my own up and down days. She picked up a supplemental hymn booklet and started to sight read. I sat and listened while she sang from the book.

"Having no control over a metabolic disorder you can't take a vacation from can make you feel crazy," I said.

"Mad and crazy," she nodded. "Will you write it down for me? I like that."

I got out a pen and wrote it on the hymn book. Then I handed it and the fig bar to her and stayed for two more songs while she worked out her blues by making a joyful noise. She opened up the bar while I went inside. Maybe she was damned if she was going to sit there while someone watched her eat a cookie like a good girl. She didn't need to be told that life was good, that she was loved, that this would pass. She just needed to feel and vent without being judged. Sometimes that's what people with depression need.

8. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

That's awesome. And you're awesome. :)

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Aw, thanks! :)

10. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted