1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Helping those Depressed....And doing it all wrong

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Jun 11, 2018.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Someone very close to me recently showed me an article in the NY Times (sorry can't find it; just a small sidebar in yesterday's paper) about how best to help someone who's suffering from depression.

Two big takeaways:

1. Let them absolutely know that they are important to you and that you need them around; and

2. Don't try to tell them they are wrong or that life's great or what great things they have in their lives.

As a widely optimistic person who's default protection is to think "life can always be worse" I've been doing it all wrong. Luckily, my friend was very gracious and told me "that's okay, you didn't know what to do."

Hope this helps someone else besides myself.

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Yes, the "you know there are starving children in Africa" line, while well intentioned, isn't the pick-me-up some might think it is.

OscarMadison and Tweener like this.
  3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

4. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

More athletes need to be like DeMar:

5. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I remember meeting a then-new roommate for the first time. He told me he had depression.

My immediate response was, "man, that sucks."

He then told me he could tell who'd dealt with depression in the past and who hadn't by their reactions to his revelation.

That response has stayed with me ever since. I'm not sure if that was a good thing or not.

7. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

So, saying, "man, that sucks" immediately disqualifies someone as ever having depression?

8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Today’s more appropriate responses might be:

“What meds are you on?”

“Do you have a gun?”

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

"Better you than me" is my go-to line in such situations.

10. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

That seems like a twist on “Better Red than dead”.

11. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I've dealt with depression, and I still don't know what to say to people who tell me they're dealing with it sometimes.

OscarMadison likes this.
  12. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

“Shit, I’m sorry. Hang in there. Sometimes life is really fucking hard. It will get better. If you need anything in the meantime, I’m always here. I love you.”

OscarMadison likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted